Gibson Brands Forums

Push/push pots?

Zeppeholic

Can somebody tell me what push/push pots are?

I know what push/PULL pots are since I have them on my R0.

Are they the pots that you push and they come up, then you push them again and they click down? That way you don't have to manually lift the pot so you can just push it and it comes up?

Also, if that's what it's called, can you have this push/push pot feature with the classic pointemeters (the things under the knobs) with black top hat knobs with silver metal inlays?

Thanks for the help

Hello!

No, they are like their name says: You pull them up to activate a feature, and push them back to turn it off. You can use any knob with them, as long as the shaft diameter of the pot is correct for the knob. You can use the classic pointers too.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Alpha_Push-pull_Pots.html

Cheers... Bence

Dear Zeppeholic,

push/push pots are able to provide basically the same functions as push/pull pots, depending on the kind of switch. I think that it can be more convenient to only push instead of having to push or pull. You won't pull of knobs, and top hats are as easy to push as speed knobs. However, I don't like them since the knob position doesn't say which switch position is selected actually. So I stayed with the stock push/pulls and used these exclusively when modding circuitries. However, I replaced all the top hat knobs on Les Pauls guitars and EB 2013 basses with speed knobs for easier pulling.

Hello!

No, they are like their name says: You pull them up to activate a feature, and push them back to turn it off. You can use any knob with them, as long as the shaft diameter of the pot is correct for the knob. You can use the classic pointers too.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Alpha_Push-pull_Pots.html

Cheers... Bence

Hello Bence, I think you changed by mistake push/pull and push/push.

Guest Farnsbarns

Zep, you seem to be posting these questions, which are all related, in separate threads, all over the place. Why not just have one thread? In one section?

Zep, you seem to be posting these questions, which are all related, in separate threads, all over the place. Why not just have one thread? In one section?

I'm sorry. I just want to know more about certain features and such. then I get another question a day after I posted something, sorry.

A guy at GC showed me an LPC and he pushed down on one of the knobs and it came up, he didn't have to pull the knob just simply push the top. I just want to know what type of push/pull feature that is called

• 2 weeks later...

The reason is because once I do that, 1-2 people answer, but they either answer a question or two, then I have a few more questions that need to be answered. So when I reply I don't get an answer on something I really need help with. I want to know everything about Les Pauls, and by spreading the posts out I get more answers to the things i need to know most about. My next topic will most likely be on circuitries in a Les Paul. I know everything about them, but modding and circuits are next. I'd like to learn how to add push/push or push/pull pots to my LP without breaking it or messing it up

Guest Farnsbarns

The reason is because once I do that, 1-2 people answer, but they either answer a question or two, then I have a few more questions that need to be answered. So when I reply I don't get an answer on something I really need help with. I want to know everything about Les Pauls, and by spreading the posts out I get more answers to the things i need to know most about. My next topic will most likely be on circuitries in a Les Paul. I know everything about them, but modding and circuits are next. I'd like to learn how to add push/push or push/pull pots to my LP without breaking it or messing it up

You've responded to that twice, I think. No worries though fella, you carry on. I only asked because in my experience the best way to solicit replies in a forum is to ask a question in the relevant section and put as much of the question as you can in the title ( I see so many threads titled "please help" in technical fora). If the topic moves on you can always change your title, or add to it.

All that said, don't misunderstand me, you post as many threads in as many sections as you like. Far be it from me to tell you otherwise.

• 5 months later...

If I had to guess, a push-push pot is one that is spring-loaded, whereby the user presses on it once for humbucker, and then again to go to single coil. A push-pull pot would be where you snap it down for one setting, and pull on it for another. I have push-push pots on my guitar, on the tone knobs, and feel I can make the switch fairly quickly during a solo.

• 3 months later...

Will any standard knob work on the push/push? No set screw just push on? I know see screw reccomended push/pull.

Just standard knobs to my knowledge - the spring mechanism is on the unseen side of the knob below the surface.

Yamaha have used push - push pots for years. They are just as reliable as push / pull but easier to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Just standard knobs to my knowledge - the spring mechanism is on the unseen side of the knob below the surface.

Yamaha have used push - push pots for years. They are just as reliable as push / pull but easier to use.

Well I pulled the black top hats, the ones with the chrome label on top and put on a set of amber top hats and the skirts don;t come down as far so they look really funky as they sit higher. These are called top hats on some sites but also "bell". I don't like the label on top like the true top hats so looking for something like this

http://www.amazon.com/AMBER-BELL-KNOBS-FITS-GIBSON/dp/B004NTZYLO/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1399838577&sr=1-7&keywords=gibson+knobs+amber

But with a deeper skirt like this

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Vintage-Replacement-Chrome-Volume/dp/B003WY23EW

• 1 month later...
Guest Farnsbarns

Well I pulled the black top hats, the ones with the chrome label on top and put on a set of amber top hats and the skirts don;t come down as far so they look really funky as they sit higher. These are called top hats on some sites but also "bell". I don't like the label on top like the true top hats so looking for something like this

http://www.amazon.com/AMBER-BELL-KNOBS-FITS-GIBSON/dp/B004NTZYLO/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1399838577&sr=1-7&keywords=gibson+knobs+amber

But with a deeper skirt like this

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Vintage-Replacement-Chrome-Volume/dp/B003WY23EW

Remove the pot, add some washers or another but and refit. Hey presto, adjustable height.

Archived