Gibson Brands Forums

1950's J-45 LE

tcbonline

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the 1950's custom shop J-45 limited edition (re-issue). Here's a link to the guitar I'm talking about...

1950's J-45 LE

I'm curious as to how it compares to the True Vintage model. The TV model is quite a bit more expensive so that's got me wondering why?

If anyone has general thoughts or any good/bad experiences with this model I'd love to hear them.

I'm not familiar with that exact model but I'll offer a few things I noticed about it. Looks like a standard J-45 except that it features a gold silkscreened logo, repro Kluson tuners, and the correct pickguard placement (all 50s appointments).

I think it is interesting that they used an Adirondack Spruce top since they weren't using Adirondack in the 50s! It was discontinued in 1944 in favor of Sitka. Also, they don't mention the top bracing in that description. I'll assume that it has the standard scalloped X bracing and not the Advanced scalloped X bracing.

Sorry my description might have been misleading... this is a 1950's reissue, so modern guitar with 1950's appointments made in the custom shop. At least that's how I read it from the website description.

The original post did confuse me at first especially since Gibson did not form a Custom Department until around 1960.

A pointy pickguard 1950s Gibson should of course not only have a Sitka top but non-scalloped top bracing.

Doh! (face palm). I guess I should have thought of that too. I have both versions from the 50s anyway!

I have never understood why Gibson refuses to recreate bracing they started using in the mid-1950s in their "throwback" guitars. Some of the best round shoulder jumbos I have ever played were made in the mid-1950s. I wonder if it is a nod to the modern mindset that says it has to have scallop bracing to be a good sounding instrument.

I want it! This is my favourite look for a J-45.

Funny though, it really does seem like another marketing ploy.

There are two shops in the UK who have got a Tri burst 50s reissue

which are not part of the limited 50.

here is a photo

montannnnafront.JPG

Archived