Gibson Brands Forums

Is Ren's hand in the making of this Fender???

onewilyfool

Great, more Martin clones

I had a strange dream last night that I was in a shop playing a D-28, and really loved it (which was quite surprising in itself) then looked over to my left, there was the Martin, looked down and....[omg] I was actually playing one of these new Fenders!

As to the HB back in the early '60s...

It seemed to me that all the guys wanted a D28 or better - not even D18 - and the girls all seemed to want the 'Bird. It was a very, very folkie environment.

m

As to the HB back in the early '60s...

It seemed to me that all the guys wanted a D28 or better - not even D18 - and the girls all seemed to want the 'Bird. It was a very, very folkie environment.

m

That's pretty much what I remember as well. One guy on my floor in a college dorm had a J-50, and I had a roommate with a D-18. Another guy I played with in the fire stairwell (hard walls for a nice bit of echo) had a 000-28, which I had never seen before. And I had my beat-up old J-45.

I had never really seen a Hummingbird until I worked with a folk-rock band out of NYC a couple of years later. The leader of the group (not the lead guitarist) had the first Hummingbird I had ever seen, and I thought it was a bit over the top visually. The lead guitarist had a D-28 (actually can't remember if it was an 18 or a 28, but I think it was a 28).

Funny things you remember from 40+ years ago......

That's pretty much what I remember as well. One guy on my floor in a college dorm had a J-50, and I had a roommate with a D-18. Another guy I played with in the fire stairwell (hard walls for a nice bit of echo) had a 000-28, which I had never seen before. And I had my beat-up old J-45.

I had never really seen a Hummingbird until I worked with a folk-rock band out of NYC a couple of years later. The leader of the group (not the lead guitarist) had the first Hummingbird I had ever seen, and I thought it was a bit over the top visually. The lead guitarist had a D-28 (actually can't remember if it was an 18 or a 28, but I think it was a 28).

Funny things you remember from 40+ years ago......

What's your thoughts now nick? Still over the top?

As for the Hummingbird being basically a Martin clone, yup but... it wasn't marketed that way as such. It was marketed as a solo vocal accompaniment piece and honestly, the only people I knew who had one or really wanted one in the '60s were girl folksingers.

My memory is a bit foggy but girl folksingers were all about the smaller body Martins probably thanks to Joan Baez.

You forget that Keef started playing a Hummingbird around 1964. From that moment it became a rock & roll acoustic.

What's your thoughts now nick? Still over the top?

I'm a bit more open-minded now in my taste in guitar finishes, as can be seen by my cherry-red ES-335. "Ah, but I was so much older then......I'm younger than that now."

ES335sisters.jpg

Zombie...

Actually where I was, nobody had a "little" guitar that I recall. The smallest would have been a classical.

The one exception would have been in '64 when a girl I know had her parents get her a small guitar in Mexico.

Otherwise, one brand or another, the girls were with dreads.

Some of that may have been the time and place. But I don't even recall any of the girls at the old Club 47 in Cambridge, Mass., with smaller guitars - but that would mostly have been '61 and '62.

m

Some of that may have been the time and place. But I don't even recall any of the girls at the old Club 47 in Cambridge, Mass., with smaller guitars - but that would mostly have been '61 and '62.

m

OK, now you've officially hijacked the thread and opened Pandora's box. Just follow this link back in time to 1965. I was a freshman at Brown then, and Club 47 was as close to heaven as a young folkie could get.....

Just look at the line-up for Club 47 that month.

My link

Archived