Gibson Brands Forums

Wildkat Aged Tiger

Christy

Way too much for what the guitar is worth as an instrument, unless you absolutely HAVE to have that particular finish. Even so, I bet you can find one for less if you're patient.

Used Wildkats shouldn't be more than about $400 in the rarer finishes, in good condiition. If the pickups have been upgraded to something fancy like Lollars or Fralins, and if a good quality hardcase is included it might make more sense, but $850 is too much for a stock Wildkat. New ones often go for around $350 without a case.

And I'm speaking as a Wildkat owner --- I like 'em a lot.

I'd agree with Parabar. As great a guitar as Wildkat's are, $850 is about twice what you should pay. I special ordered my Trans Orange from Sweetwater a couple of years ago. There was no extra charge for the color, it was just that it was a "special order" and not returnable. I upgraded the p/u's to Lollars,and even with that, I doubt I'd pay much more than $500 for one, especially used.

It also depends where you are. If you're in the US, then the above comments are applicable. Outside the US, it's a different story. Here in Aus, the retail price of the Wildkat is $999 (about $900US). Obviously that's a ridiculous price, but it is what it is.

Sada is quite right. It all depends on whether you cab get it shipped to your location ...

Here it is on the Guitar Center site:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-WildKat-Ltd-Electric-Guitar-101392074-i1149949.gc

$349 brand new with return privilege and a warranty ... and a nice, flamey, natural top. We Americans sometimes forget how good we have it guitar-wise. Best of luck in your d]search, Christy ... a Wildkat is definitely worth owning!

Jim

• 1 month later...

Well, they ain't making any more with that particular finish. That's one of the cool thing about the Wildkats; the have just a limited number of finishes (mine's Antique Natural). But, yes, that is much more than they cost new and they are not (yet!?!) regarded as a guitar that goes up in value like a high end Fender or Gibson.

That said, it really comes down to what it's worth to you. I think the Tiger finish is really hot and wouldn't mind paying a little (a little, I says!) bit more for that rare 'Kat, myself. The Wildkat is a fun guitar to play with it's own unique sound. I still think she'll be a future classic.

Archived