Gibson Brands Forums

The scent of a guitar. Gibson/Martin owners.

gearbasher

my SJ200 smelt of maple syrup when I got it. Years of gigging in smokey bars made it smell like an ashtray for a while, but when the smoking ban came in, the maple syrup smell gradually returned! Best smelling guitar I ever owned was a Cedar and Rosewood Takamine jumbo, a good stage guitar but even better to sniff...incredible smelling. Worst smelling was a Martin Vintage Series OM18V. I think it was attributable to the case, but it smelt like someone had been sick in an old sock, then hidden it in the guitar! My '06 Hummingbird smelt incredible, but my '08 doesn't really smell of anything...the '08 has by far the better tone, though.

I just got a Songwriter Mahogany. It smells like the inside of a good cigar humidor. For those of you who enjoy a fine cigar......you know what I mean. My nephew has his own band in the Baltimore area. The second thing he did after putting the guitar through it's paces was to bring the sound hole up to his nose. He then said "I love the smell of a guitar".

Rob

I leave my SJ out and in its stand all the time and it still has that wonderful smell. I can smell it the whole time it is being played! I love the smell of a Gibson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mine still retains its smell too, even after 4 years. The new Epiphone has a really strong smell..... love it. Have never sniffed a Martin before. I'll have to take notice next time I'm in L&McQ. Hopefully I don't get caught and they send for the men in white coats! I'll ask my mom what her new Martin smells like.

Finally got around to giving the sniff test to my SJ200 and my Martin D35. They both have interesting smells (not odors), and very distinct from one another. I can smell the finish more on the Gibby and its a stonger and sweeter smell, but then again it's nearly new whereas the Martin is 14 years old. The Martin has a delicate wood smell, and definitely doesn't smell like old lady as the OP observed about his. Maybe it's because I don't let any old ladies play it...just my 20-year-old-daughter and male friends about my age.

Archived