Gibson Brands Forums

How rare is this?

Coz52

I picked this up in a pawn shop back in 2000 for $200. It appears to be a Special with a set neck. It's the only one I've ever seen. It's been modded to the max and is currently sporting the gold bits from my Sheraton. It has what appears to be a basswood body. No serial number in evidence. I'm guessing late nineties Samik. Anyone else ever seen one of these?

It doesn't look like a special.

I think it's a mid 90's Samik built G400. they used to make them like that with the dots on the fretboard instead trapezoidal markers they use on the later ones.

Not particularly rare, desirable or worth a great deal, but good playing guitars none the less, and excellent value for money.

It doesn't look like a special.

I think it's a mid 90's Samik built G400. they used to make them like that with the dots on the fretboard instead trapezoidal markers they use on the later ones.

Not particularly rare, desirable or worth a great deal, but good playing guitars none the less, and excellent value for money.

Right. I've seen a couple, not many around. They're just a cheaper version of a G-400, which is certainly not overpriced to begin with. I'd rather have a G-400 with big inlays, which come in handy on a dark stage.

They are not cheaper....

they just have been made with Dots from 89-95

the shown one is from 90-95

no serial stamped makes it 90-92/93 with a fallen of serial# sticker, made by Samick, Korea

and it is NOT rare

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/SG#G-400

BigNeil is 'spot on'

Having looked at thousands of G-400's on eBay over the years, I can probably count on one hand the number I've of set-neck G-400's with dot inlays I've seen. Being out of production for 13 years explains part of that, but it's certainly not a common model. If they were made in larger quantities, I'd think they'd be showing up more often.

Dot inlays cost less for a manufacturer than larger ones, and are typically used on lower-priced models. Do you know what they were priced at originally compared to regular G-400's? I sold the two I had and in the used market they didn't go for as much. People know it's a cheaper model.

The gold colored hardware kinda sets it apart.

Very nice condition for the age. Looks like a nice $200 buy.

When I bought it it was dead stock. In fact some kid must have owned it as on the body, at the control knobs, were pointers drawn with a SHARPIE!!!!

I picked this up in a pawn shop back in 2000 for $200. It appears to be a Special with a set neck. It's the only one I've ever seen. It's been modded to the max and is currently sporting the gold bits from my Sheraton. It has what appears to be a basswood body. No serial number in evidence. I'm guessing late nineties Samik. Anyone else ever seen one of these?

If you want to add trap inlays you can get them here:

http://www.inlaystickers.com/servlet/storefront?no_redirect=true

Reasonable price and fast shipping.

I used them on my SG Special here:

DSC_7224.jpg

DSC_7227.jpg

DSC_7226.jpg

I went with green abalone for personal preference only. I also added the crown inlay on the headstock to dress it up a little to look more like a standard.

If you want to add trap inlays you can get them here:

http://www.inlaystickers.com/servlet/storefront?no_redirect=true

Reasonable price and fast shipping.

I used them on my SG Special here:

DSC_7224.jpg

DSC_7227.jpg

DSC_7226.jpg

I went with green abalone for personal preference only. I also added the crown inlay on the headstock to dress it up a little to look more like a standard.

Thanks dude but I'm gonna leave the dots.

Archived