Gibson Brands Forums

New book on gear

bonzoboy

I don't know if many people afflicted with chronic GAS also are compulsive about buying and reading as many books as they can on the subject of gear too,but I imagine there are some.Today I added to my gear bibles collection when a book by Dave Hunter arrived.The book is called "Amped" and it's a chronology of some of the most significant amps made from 1937 to the present.The Rev. Billy F. Gibbons wrote the forward and there is a really cool picture of him with just a tiny part of his enormous collection,with just his extremely rare '46-'47 Fender Dual Professionals-which evolved into the Twin-with some in absolute unrestored mint condition and also a sweet herd of vintage 50s "blackguard" Esquires.I wish I knew where all these maggoty rich guys find these relics-I guess when you got the bucks you could get a Sasquatch if you wanted one. Anyway from what I've read so far-which is about 6 amps-the guy goes into great technical detail about the wiring,tubes and any other parts that make that particular amp unique.I'm sure that anyone who's into amps-especially the technical details-would really enjoy this book,but there is enough great info there to interest anyone who has ever plugged a guitar into an amp.

BTW: I have Andy Babiuk's new book (the guy who wrote "Beatles Gear") pre-ordered,this book is called "The Stones' Gear".That book should be just as interesting as The Beatles book or maybe more so to some diehard Stones fans because it covers a much longer timespan.I'm really interested in reading about Brian's gear because he had an innate ability to pick up any instrument and just instinctively know the basic fundamentals of it,so he amassed a pretty impressive collection of some very odd instruments from all over.

Dave Hunter's articles in Vintage Guitar magazine on amplifiers have caused me to seek out and buy amps so I am somewhat reticent to buy his new book on Amps.

Okay I have to have it now. Thanks a lot. There goes the rest of my 401k. [cursing]

Lol. Thanks for the heads up. B)

@ Darling 67: I have been considering getting The Recording The Beatles book but I believe that there were two in that category written by people who worked on their recordings.One of the two is supposed to be quite technical and a bit too tech related for most technically challenged musicians.Do you know which is which?

@ Rev. David Lee,I have subscribed to Vintage Guitar Magazine for about 5 years now and I never miss Dave Hunter's columns,his knowledge of amps is encyclopedic and he seems to have retained most of it in his memory.This month he has an interesting article on the Radio Shack Realistic Entertainer 34,which had a built-in turntable so you could play along with your favourite records-a precursor to the MP-3 compatible amps of today.

Archived