Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional Pro II Questions

logicwriter

Hello, I bought a new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II from Guitar Center over the weekend and I am concerned about a couple of things.

1) With the toggle switch in the middle position, turning down the bridge pickup to 0 causes all sound to stop. The inverse is true as well. With the toggle switch in the middle position, turning down the neck pickup volume to 0 causes the guitar to go silent. This doesn't seem like normal behavior to me. I would expect that turning down the bridge pickup down to 0 while leaving the neck pickup at 10 would still result in sound coming from the amp. Is this correct, or is it wired incorrectly.

2) I am also getting a hum from the guitar when the volume is up, but not touching any metal like the strings, bridge, toggle switch or other metal object. This hum is very much like a single coil type hum and I was a little taken back when I heard it on a $2000 Gibson with humbuckers. This hum is occurring when the 10 db boost is off along with the single coil option turned off.

Please let me know if these issues are normal for this guitar or if there may be other issues going on.

Thanks in advance.

Allen

Hello, I bought a new Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II from Guitar Center over the weekend and I am concerned about a couple of things.

1) With the toggle switch in the middle position, turning down the bridge pickup to 0 causes all sound to stop. The inverse is true as well. With the toggle switch in the middle position, turning down the neck pickup volume to 0 causes the guitar to go silent. This doesn't seem like normal behavior to me. I would expect that turning down the bridge pickup down to 0 while leaving the neck pickup at 10 would still result in sound coming from the amp. Is this correct, or is it wired incorrectly.

2) I am also getting a hum from the guitar when the volume is up, but not touching any metal like the strings, bridge, toggle switch or other metal object. This hum is very much like a single coil type hum and I was a little taken back when I heard it on a $2000 Gibson with humbuckers. This hum is occurring when the 10 db boost is off along with the single coil option turned off.

Please let me know if these issues are normal for this guitar or if there may be other issues going on.

Thanks in advance.

Allen

Hello Allen, welcome here.

1) is OK since the pickups are wired for minimum loss to the hot pot side, and the center tap goes to the switch. The reversed wiring would not cause both volume pots to be a master but load down the pickups when used single and with the volume turned down a bit.

2) depends on the electromagnetic environment and is normal for the average household or stage situation with lots of electric gear around, e. g. switch mode power supplies, transformers, cell phones etc. This could only be avoided in a sophisticated studio environment with grid grounded walls, doors and windows which is rarely to find. In case you play via transmitter instead of cable, the problem won't occur since there is no electrical potential difference between you and the guitar, regardless of touching metal parts or not.

Hope this helps,

capmaster

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about getting a LPTP2, but then I found out that it has circuitries instead of the normal pots and capacitors [unsure]

Every electric guitar has a circuitry on principal, even if it's a simple cable leading from a single pickup to an output jack. Me thinks you meant a printed circuit board (abbr. PCB) instead of point-to-point connections between the components.

• Like 1

I recently purchased my Traditional Pro II, and was wondering if they all have Push/Push pots on the bridge pickup and Neck Tone/Preamp, and a Pull/Push pot for the neck pickup. The neck volume also seems to have a center notch position... It's not like there's any special info in the literature or owner's manual that tells you anything helpful.

I sent a query to Gibson USA, and their response was "Sounds like the correct controls." That doesn't tell me anything.

Aside from that, I absolutely LOVE everything about this axe! The tone is righteous in single coil or humbucking modes, and the fat '50's neck profile makes playing a joy!

I was thinking about getting a LPTP2, but then I found out that it has circuitries instead of the normal pots and capacitors [unsure]

Sorry, you were talkung about the active circuitry - hadn't got it. [blush] OK, I wouldn't like that, too. The only reason for me to go active are piezos, and I do prefer active with them.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I recently purchased my Traditional Pro II, and was wondering if they all have Push/Push pots on the bridge pickup and Neck Tone/Preamp, and a Pull/Push pot for the neck pickup. The neck volume also seems to have a center notch position... It's not like there's any special info in the literature or owner's manual that tells you anything helpful.

I sent a query to Gibson USA, and their response was "Sounds like the correct controls." That doesn't tell me anything.

Aside from that, I absolutely LOVE everything about this axe! The tone is righteous in single coil or humbucking modes, and the fat '50's neck profile makes playing a joy!

After finding a video on YouTube showing the correct controls, I sent mine in for warranty service, and now everything is as it should be... Hands down, the best sounding guitar I own.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...