Gibson Brands Forums

Walkin into Guitar Center....the 62 Epi Sorrento!

shakey64

I had JUST purchased a stamp used, like new Epi Dot in natural w/ case on ebay last week. Was great deal, that i coulndt pass up. Totally clean and set up..only minor finish flaw on the back. I was itchin for a hollow or semi hollow Epi. So, I walk into Guitar Center Saturday to look at the leather straps,,,and lo and behold..what do i see? the 50th anniversay Sorrento on display. THIS is the model I was really looking for. THat cutaway- George Thorogood ES-125 type model or Nugents Byrdland. WHen I picked it up...was light as a feather. WHen I strummed it...even my wife commented...its so loud for an electric. Thats hollow-body, dear. We had to leave..didnt have time to plug it in...but I will be back. GAS attack. Just saw all these thread on here. Im just curious how the mini Gibson Humbuckers actually comaper to the Humbuckers on a DOT>?

Mini humbuckers are a very different animal than a standard humbucker. Minis are generally brighter and crisper in tone, even if their output is still hot enough to create some nice overdrive.

My best description of their sound is somewhere between a P-90 and a standard humbucker.

Mini humbuckers are a very different animal than a standard humbucker. Minis are generally brighter and crisper in tone, even if their output is still hot enough to create some nice overdrive.

My best description of their sound is somewhere between a P-90 and a standard humbucker.

Right after I posted this...I found a youtube link, where a guy demonstrated the two pickups. Exactly right,,,the mini seemed brighter and crisper..than the regular humbucker....and that's a good thing!

CRUST:

the model on display was the natural color...just beautiful. When I came home to check online...I saw they came in ROYAL also...I didn't read the olive part, so Im thinking Royal blue!!?? When I saw the pic of the Royal Olive, I thought ...wow! That's a Purdy guitar!! :)

Seems all the Epiphone Soreento models are out of stock online; MF, Sweetwater, etc. Don't see a lot of Youtube posts. They must be really selling, as none are available till end of October. I plan to go back to Guitar Center, soon!

I recently purchased a Royal Olive Sorrento and it's a wonderful guitar. I gave it a fret level on the weekend and it's now even better. The minihumbuckers sound amazing [thumbup].

I also got a 1962 Sheraton reissue in Cherry. Its even nicer to play than the Sorrento [smile].

Archived