Gibson Brands Forums

Doves In Flight....Oh My....

Joe M

Played one of these at my local Gibson pusher today and was absolutely astounded at the beauty, playability and sound. What really surprised me was the nut width. I thought I had picked up a Martin D42 by mistake...even asked one of the guys working there to measure it for me and we decided it measured between 1 9/16 and 1 10/16. I never knew that Gibson made any modern guitar with such a narrow nut. The one thing that always bothered me about my Gibsons and any Gibson, for that matter, was the nut width. The 1.725 width is just a bit too wide for me, I really like the 1 11/16 of most Martin guitars. But this Dove felt perfect in my hand. I literally would have bought it on the spot if it wasn't for the price tag....way out of my league and pocket. The sound was big and bold, just what I like in a dred-sized guitar. Of course, the bling was amazing, couldn't help thinking of Porter Wagoner when I looked at it. Perfect example of champagne taste on a beer budget..... [rolleyes]

Didn't realise the nut width was quite as thin as that. It's too thin for my own preferences, so I guess that I can cross this off the list 'to try' ....given the prices that has to be a good thing, right?

For my hands it's perfect. Also, I'm a strummer so I only use it for hammering Tom Petty songs [thumbup]

Got myself a J-45 Pure Voice the other day. Great guitar which made my Dove feel like a J-200 [biggrin]

Nice one on the pure voice, mate. What do you mean like a J-200? bling or neck proportions?

When I got the Doves In Flight I picked it over a SJ-200 TV mostly cause of the size..(now I would't change back for the world, they still have it in the store and I try it out now and then but it's nothing like the Doves)

I felt comfortable the Doves it's size but once I got the J-45 my Doves felt huge....in a nice way.... I wan't to have a variation between the two

I don't know how they differ in size more the scale & nut

IMG_2112_zps06f5de4e.jpg

Preferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'\shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийalt altPreferencesPreferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'\shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийalt altPreferences

I've said several times that I was torn between a J-200 and a DIF, (I was in love with the natural maple back & sides on the J-200), but it's just so big....

which always made me feel like Little Jimmy Dickens playing one.

Anyway, I got the DIF and got the size right as well as the Back & Sides!

DSC01312.jpg

I've said several times that I was torn between a J-200 and a DIF, (I was in love with the natural maple back & sides on the J-200), but it's just so big....

which always made me feel like Little Jimmy Dickens playing one.

Anyway, I got the DIF and got the size right as well as the Back & Sides!

DSC01312.jpg

I will never tire of seeing the pics of your DIF, Rob, it is a true beauty....

Joe M,

The Dove is an awesome guitar. When I picked-up this used 2009 Dove I was in all sincerity shocked at the depth of the bass and the overall volume. Physically it's every bit as big as it's square shouldered sisters (Hummingbird & J60), but the maple adds a sweetness I hadn't had in my guitar stable for years. I think I'd forgotten what I was missing. I understand what you mean about the size. I see pictures of myself with my old HD28 and compare it to pics of me with the Dove, bird, and J50. Aside from dimensions, the Gibson square-shouldered guitars are visually larger than their Martin brethren. Still, if one can comfortably play a Hummingbird, the Dove should be about the same.

For me, the nut width you mention would be a bit too narrow. I like the wider widths. But what-the-hell? That's what makes this guitar stuff so cool. We're all different, yet we can each find a guitar that works for us.......I hope there's a Dove in your future. [thumbup]

Danvill-------WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe M,

The Dove is an awesome guitar. When I picked-up this used 2009 Dove I was in all sincerity shocked at the depth of the bass and the overall volume. Physically it's every bit as big as it's square shouldered sisters (Hummingbird & J60), but the maple adds a sweetness I hadn't had in my guitar stable for years. I think I'd forgotten what I was missing. I understand what you mean about the size. I see pictures of myself with my old HD28 and compare it to pics of me with the Dove, bird, and J50. Aside from dimensions, the Gibson square-shouldered guitars are visually larger than their Martin brethren. Still, if one can comfortably play a Hummingbird, the Dove should be about the same.

For me, the nut width you mention would be a bit too narrow. I like the wider widths. But what-the-hell? That's what makes this guitar stuff so cool. We're all different, yet we can each find a guitar that works for us.......I hope there's a Dove in your future. [thumbup]

Danvill-------WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I've always loved the sound of my Dove, but the DIF is WAY better.

Probably due to the Norlin build compared to the Montana build.

Don't forget the scale length too ....

No doubt about the difference in sound between "most" Norlin era guitars and the Bozeman guitars. To take that idea a step further, I think it also applies to many other guitar brands when compared to the Bozeman guitars.........Anyways, your Doves are literally stunning examples of what is regularly coming-out of Bozeman. [thumbup]

No doubt about the difference in sound between "most" Norlin era guitars and the Bozeman guitars. To take that idea a step further, I think it also applies to many other guitar brands when compared to the Bozeman guitars.........Anyways, your Doves are literally stunning examples of what is regularly coming-out of Bozeman. [thumbup]

Archived