Gibson Brands Forums

2013 LP Studio factory fitted string guage

Stix Malloy

Hello All

This is a bit of a rubbish question but I can't find the answer on the Gibson product page or this forum so I'll get over my embarrassment and ask it.

Can anyone confirm what gauge strings are fitted to the 2013 Les Paul Studio when they leave the factory?

I was sure I'd read (before purchase) that they were 9s but I can't find where I read it now.

The supplying dealer said they were 10s.

I'm really slow at restringing and don't wanna have to it twice in a day if I can avoid it.

Regards

There are .010" - .046" Nickel wound specified for most Gibsons including Les Paul guitars, and they were stock on my Alex Lifeson Axcess. The lighter top .009" - .046" Les Paul Signature string set is advertised to come with every Gibson Les Paul guitar, and indeed came on two of mine. Another two Les Pauls had been restrung by the dealer using different brands, so I don't know their factory strings.

Hello All

This is a bit of a rubbish question but I can't find the answer on the Gibson product page or this forum so I'll get over my embarrassment and ask it.

Can anyone confirm what gauge strings are fitted to the 2013 Les Paul Studio when they leave the factory?

I was sure I'd read (before purchase) that they were 9s but I can't find where I read it now.

The supplying dealer said they were 10s.

I'm really slow at restringing and don't wanna have to it twice in a day if I can avoid it.

Regards

This would have indeed come with 9-46 gauge strings. Most Gibson USA models switched to 9's at the beginning of 2013.

Page 25 of the Owners Manual that came with my Signature "T" last week says......" Your Gibson guitar comes strung with "10s" -- which means the high -E string is .010 inches in diameter, the low-E is .046 inches in diameter. The set is designed so that all strings are in proportion to one another, ensuring that the action and the volume will be consistent across the entire fingerboard. Gibson offers "9s", "11s" and a variety of other gauges and compositions, all of which are balanced for consistent tension."

Glad I could help !!!

All my recent ones (the last six months) say they come with 10's and feel like that to me and I've been using 10's exclusively for 30 years.

Maybe I am a scrutinizer, but I read measurements of all the strings that come with my guitars. First, I want to have an idea for the neck adjustment before changing brand and gauge. Second, I felt that some strange accidents happened - my SG Supra came stock with .010" E1st, .011" B2nd, .016" G3rd, .023" D4th, .036" A5th, .046" E6th, and so played rather oddly due to the soft B and D strings.

I didn't like the feel of the recent Les Paul guitars coming with .009" - .046", too. However, I use .011" - .050" Optima chromes on all hardtails, and same brand and make .010" - .046" on vibratos.

Archived