Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone's Line of Acoustcs

mgrasso

This has been on my mind since the Masterbilt line was diminished to one model.

Epiphone has some many wonderful, original models in its history, that it's a shame that we only have a few to choose from.

It's nice to see the Hummingbird and Dove, but those are Gibsons.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing bad about those choices, but if they cam produce those, they can produce Frontiers and Excellentes.

And what about acoustic archtops? The emperor Regent is a great guitar, but what about a Spartin or others?

This being the 140th anniversary, it would be nice to own a part of that history.

I know they won't be as sought after or sell as many as a Martin or a Taylor, but at least try one or two models to test the waters.

There will be enough Epi enthusiasts that would support the line.

Rant over.

Just my luck! It seems just as I have finally pulled away from the dull rumble of Martin and the shrill trebles of Taylor...and headed directly toward Epiphone and Gibson because of the WONDERFUL BALANCED TONE, and many different models and price ranges, I now realize that there is a pattern and history of instability in Epiphone and Gibson...in which the most excellent Elitist series has vanished YEARS ago without explanation, the superb Masterbilts raved about the world over have virtually vanished into thin air, all but one or two models, again no explanation, and some of the most cherished classic Gibson models I have been interested in buying....like the Gibson Hummingbirds have mutated into a horrible brown or a washed out strange orange color. Even the run of the mill models of Epiphone, like Hummingbird, and EJ200 and many others vanish for 6 months at a time from retailers..only to return, then vanish again from the retailers. No idea why. Sounds like a poor management thing, or a lack of commitment to building instruments. One thing is for sure. You don't see Martin do these things.. A Martin D-18 many years ago is a Martin D-18 today. It's one of the things that makes Martin home to so many. Guitarists do not like instability. There must be half a dozen different Gibson guitars with the Hummingbird name plastered inside them or on the truss rod cover..... Will the real Hummingbird please stand up?! ...btw I love my Epiphone Hummingbird. Had to buy it used at 5 years old because new Epi Hummingbirds have not been readily available from most retailers on a consistent basis for at least the last nine months. But it does LOOK like a delicious Heritage Cherry Hummingbird...like the Rolling Stones used and loved...and it does play wonderfully. I won't pay $3100 for a dull brown or oddly blurred orange Gibson Hummingbird. But a $199 out the door beautiful used Epi Bird..Oh yea....and believe me..it sounds great, so who needs an orange brown Hummingbird anyway?!

1379183097[/url]' post='1425337']

I know it's probably just a typo (and Lord knows I make plenty), but for the record, it's "Spartan" with an "a" and not an "i."

Red 333

Yes, I did misspell. Early morning post. msp_blushing.gif

I agree with GL, there seems to be some disconnect when it comes to Epi's acoustic production.

I only have 4, but would gladly buy more.

I missed out on the Elitist line. There were 3-4 models I would have purchased.

The original Masterbilt lineup was great with a variety of selections.

But with the sparce offerings today, including the three Pro models, I wonder if there are any intentions of new innovation, or this will be the acoustic line for a while.

I am not even sure Epiphone even with all their CNC routers could produce a carved top archtop these days. I think even Gibson only offers one Custom Shop model these days. And if Epi could what would be the odds of their being able to make it available at an Epi price point.

Yeah, it would be kinda cool though if Epi released their own Gibson-esque Legend Series of guitars. Despite what the marketers may tell you, the Legend guitars are the only guitars made in Bozeman that are a spot on recreation of a guitar from a past catalog. So it would take some serious re-engineering. And you pay dearly for that. Guitars like the Hummingbird and its forerunner the Frontier, as example, never came with scallop bracing. That is just not how Gibson built them from the mid-1950s on.

What is going on with Epi is strange at best. I am still made about them discontinuing the little Blues Master which for my money was the best new LG size guitar out there for the money. You could spend twice as much and still not get as good a sounding and playing guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

...btw I love my Epiphone Hummingbird. Had to buy it used at 5 years old because new Epi Hummingbirds have not been readily available from most retailers on a consistent basis for at least the last nine months. But it does LOOK like a delicious Heritage Cherry Hummingbird...like the Rolling Stones used and loved...and it does play wonderfully. I won't pay $3100 for a dull brown or oddly blurred orange Gibson Hummingbird. But a $199 out the door beautiful used Epi Bird..Oh yea....and believe me..it sounds great, so who needs an orange brown Hummingbird anyway?!

Recently bought a John Lennon Epiphone, acoustic guitar with a small pickup at the fingerboard, and a V & T control. I can not believe how good it sounds with decent strings...beautiful mellow nearly jazzy sounds, unplugged!

DSCN1106_zpsdf7d1777.jpg

I am sure the "real" Gibson version of this guitar is better - it is totally different - but it is also about $4000 more expensive, and personally, I doubt it is THAT much better.

I had no idea the newer Epi acoustics were this good.

mark

I also had no idea Epiphone discontinued most of the Masterbilt line...Just bought a used AJ 500 R, with an aftermarket SD sound hole pup and hard case...I don't need the onboard electronics, and if this thing sounds 1/2 as good as its rep, this will probably be my last acoustic...no need for anything more.

mark

Look around. The world economy is in the toilet. You can thank >insert your least favorite political party here< are to blame.

As such, contracting the offerings is a necessary evil to keep the company afloat.

Given enough time and consumer confidence, things will pick up and more choices will be ours.

Archived