Gibson Brands Forums

A couple of amps

crust

[flapper]

GEDC0107_zps19d505e8.jpg

GEDC0106_zps821c3803.jpg

The Epiphone mini amp is fun as heck. I'm going to find a nice strap for it. It works with a 9 volt battery or ac adapter, sound cool, not overwhelmingly loud.

The Fender Mustang III, V 2.0 amp is really quite a state of the art amp. I have a Mustang II, version 1, which I will keep, but this Mustang 3 is above and beyond by miles. It has 1 speaker and is wall shaking loud. If I got the Mustang 4 or 5, I'm sure I'd blow out the windows in my old place [biggrin]

I'm also really diggin' the Dot Studio, also a cool looking, sounding as well as "playable" guitar. Yay Epiphone :) B)

Nice looking amps. I'm a big Fender amp endorser, myself. You just can't beat their sound and quality. Though, that lil' Epi looks real cute!

The Studio Dot has always caught my eye. Looks like a real, no nonsense, get to work and rock guitar. How does she sound?

The Dot is another fine Epiphone guitar. The 2 knob design is a little simpler than the usual 2 tone/2 volume set up. Sound wise, ya, it's got that nice smooth arch top tone but can also really wail when cranked..love it. And look at it, I think the top/finish is beautiful on these things. I did have to tighten the input jack nut, it backed off and came loose with aggressive playing around, (well, it did for me). I just tightened the nut a little (not too much, don't want to strip the threads). I play it as much, if not more than my others. Simple, straight forward, looks good, sounds great , priced right (which is another reason I am so enamored with Epiphone instruments). What's not to like ? [smile][thumbup]

the funny thing about the Dot Studio is...there are no "dots"

(position markers)on the fret board (there are small position marker dots on the side of the neck). It is a bit different, playing it without the fret board markers. I think it actually makes me play better, not relying on position markers to see "where I'm at" lol [biggrin]

I am a big proponent of the Mustang series. I have a III and IV, version 1. I teach elementary music. I liked them so much I bought 5 MIs for one of the schools I teach at and and an MII for the other, all version 1. I built a pedal board for the MIV/MIII and run it with a home made snake. I am a long time tube amp guy, but I really like the Mustangs.

I am a big proponent of the Mustang series. I have a III and IV, version 1. I teach elementary music. I liked them so much I bought 5 MIs for one of the schools I teach at and and an MII for the other, all version 1. I built a pedal board for the MIV/MIII and run it with a home made snake. I am a long time tube amp guy, but I really like the Mustangs.

There are many digital modeling amps available (Peavy Vyper comes to mind). But, the V2 Fender Mustang amps do reproduce the various amp models, quite well actually, and with ony 1 12" speaker this Mustang 3 is awesomely loud (The Mustang 4 and 5 amps, with the 2x12, and 4x12 speakers, would probably make me even more hearing impaired than I already am [lol][crying] :mellow:). Also 2 XLR connections with a "ground lift" button, for noise reduction, an effects loop, 2 and 4 button switch's for selecting various amps and associated parameters, an expression pedal connection (on the side of one of the foot switches)for "wah" and volume/modulation control. A USB connector controls the amp, and can be used for direct recording into a computer recording program (DAW/digital-audio work station). The software that controls the amp (FUSE) is straight forward, and the editing capabilities are fun to adjust (from the computer) for those "just right" tones . Also, Fender provides hundreds, if not thousands of "presets" and backing tracks that can be downloaded from their web site, and can be loaded into the software for play along, with "perfect tones", for the tunes associated with the presets. So, ya, I (and my students)are enjoying using the Fender Mustang 3 modeling amp. 5 year warranty, hope I don't have to use it.

I have several "students" that I enjoy teaching (what little I know). This amp (and the GDEC 3-30 amp) are really quite perfect for teaching/training/learning (particularly the GDEC, which has a SD card slot for "play along" media.). Fender no longer produces GDEC amps. I'm happy with mine (although in the 2 years I've had it, I've sent it out for warranty repair 2X, it was fixed and returned from Fender within 2 weeks..not a bad turn around time.) component dislodged from the circuit board,amp died, and the headphone jack broke (pushed into the amp...probably my fault) plastic jack connectors [cursing] 5 year warranty is good. Did I say that already ? lol [lol] I have a Bugera V5, 5 watt class A tube amp and the matching 2x12 speaker enclosure on the way here. I hope the Bugera V5 doesn't catch fire (like some have experienced on early released ones). lol. Time will tell. :-k :mellow:

Watch for review in the lounge some time next week. Also got an Epiphone 15C amplifier on order too, pics to follow. [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Archived