Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying this Epi SG

Labi

Hi.

I recently bought a used Epiphone SG but somehow it looks different to all other SG-s I've seen on the net, therefore I am unable to identify which exact model it is. I know mine is an older Korean model, but what puzzles me are the humbuckers. Are these stock or is it more possible that they've been swapped at some point in time by previous owner? Also I couldn't find another Epiphone SG with the trusrod cover that has GIBSON engraved on it like mine. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me on this. I will also attach some pics of my SG.

Thanks

post-59486-049984700 1379635826_thumb.jpg

post-59486-058828900 1379635963_thumb.jpg

post-59486-056538000 1379636011_thumb.jpg

G-310 with aftermarket PU's. 310's are entry-level guitars, so there's no collector value with them. I've seen many used Epi's over the years, and PU upgrades are common. I always change strings when I guy a used guitar (along with cleaning all the wood parts and reconditioning the fretboard), and I recommend others do the same. When the strings are off, flip over the PU's and the make-model will be on the base plate. You may be lucky and they could be worth as much as the guitar.

Hi.

I recently bought a used Epiphone SG but somehow it looks different to all other SG-s I've seen on the net, therefore I am unable to identify which exact model it is. I know mine is an older Korean model, but what puzzles me are the humbuckers. Are these stock or is it more possible that they've been swapped at some point in time by previous owner? Also I couldn't find another Epiphone SG with the trusrod cover that has GIBSON engraved on it like mine. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me on this. I will also attach some pics of my SG.

Thanks

post-59486-049984700 1379635826_thumb.jpg

post-59486-058828900 1379635963_thumb.jpg

post-59486-056538000 1379636011_thumb.jpg

Gibson TRCs were the norm back in the day. All three of my LPs had them.

G-310 with aftermarket PU's. 310's are entry-level guitars, so there's no collector value with them. I've seen many used Epi's over the years, and PU upgrades are common. I always change strings when I guy a used guitar (along with cleaning all the wood parts and reconditioning the fretboard), and I recommend others do the same. When the strings are off, flip over the PU's and the make-model will be on the base plate. You may be lucky and they could be worth as much as the guitar.

Yeah I too was hoping for some luck with the pickups so I looked underneath, but there's nothing writen on them, just blank metal plate. They sound fine tho'. Well at least for a 9 yr old kid whose main task at this moment is to do an impersonation of Mr. Schnebley with it :)

Thanks a lot for everyones input.

Yeah I too was hoping for some luck with the pickups so I looked underneath, but there's nothing writen on them, just blank metal plate. They sound fine tho'. Well at least for a 9 yr old kid whose main task at this moment is to do an impersonation of Mr. Schnebley with it :)

Thanks a lot for everyones input.

My 310 is very playable with the pickups and tone pots being the weak points. So if it's got decent sounding pups I'd play the heck out of it and enjoy. [thumbup]

More than you ever need to know about Epi SGs can be found here B)

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/SG

Looks from your link that it may be an 89-96 with the Vantage pups. I don't know how they compare to the 700T/690R that I have but I know the pups in mine are definitely candidates for change if I ever get around to it.

Edit: You may want to look into changing the tone pots, the stock ones are worthless.

Looks from your link that it may be an 89-96 with the Vantage pups. I don't know how they compare to the 700T/690R that I have but I know the pups in mine are definitely candidates for change if I ever get around to it.

Edit: You may want to look into changing the tone pots, the stock ones are worthless.

I didn't find any problem with the tone pots. They seem fine. But I might upgrade them and the pickups sometime in the future since the guitar itself is beautifuly crafted.

I didn't find any problem with the tone pots. They seem fine. But I might upgrade them and the pickups sometime in the future since the guitar itself is beautifuly crafted.

That's good. Mine don't do anything at all. Not sure what the problem is. But for an entry level guitar it's fun to play and sure you'll enjoy it. [thumbup]

As a conclusion, my Epi is a Korean G 310 with stock Vantage pickups, and also according to this website it was made in May 1993.

I would like to thank everyone that helped. You guys are great.

That would be correct. I have a 1994 that came stock with the Vantage covered pickups. They were total dogs. Nowhere near as good as the current Epiphone budget pickups. They are very weak and muddy. I swapped out mine for a set of DiMarzios that I got on the cheap...real cheap!

Archived