Gibson Brands Forums

Maestro

crust

I've seen that model mandolin with a few things on the headstock: Revelation, Hutchins, Airline all spring to mind, so must be a Chinese factory that cranks them out for whoever wants to commission a batch of them. It's a nice enough instrument if set up well, and very cool.

Since it's the Epiphone forum, I feel obliged to post my own electric mandolin, refinished in Pelham Blue nitro:

WP_000059.jpg

Thank you. Actually it has a big sister as well, a Pelham Blue tenor guitar (basically a short scale four string guitar tuned in fifths like a mandolin). Gibson made electric tenors in the 60s but they're rare and expensive when they occasionally do show up, so I went the DIY route: this one started life as a roughed out SG body blank from the Samick factory, so in another life could have ended up an Epiphone, and I re-profiled it and made the neck from scratch.

ES355andSGtenor.jpg

I don't think this Mando-Caster has anything to do with the "Maestro by Gibson" brand [confused]

Possibly (??) [blush] , I didn't do much research, but the little that I did, didn't turn up much information about what instruments "Maestro" actually make, other than student violins (right now, and in the past). I wonder if there is a 2013/2014 Maestro instrument catalog available online, or anywhere for that matter ??

Still enjoying it. Gibson, any further comments ? [blush]

I've seen that model mandolin with a few things on the headstock: Revelation, Hutchins, Airline all spring to mind, so must be a Chinese factory that cranks them out for whoever wants to commission a batch of them. It's a nice enough instrument if set up well, and very cool.

Since it's the Epiphone forum, I feel obliged to post my own electric mandolin, refinished in Pelham Blue nitro:

WP_000059.jpg

sha-wiiiiiiing !! [love]

There's a guy local to me who mixes his own nitro colours and sells it in spray can form. With the Mandobird I just knocked back the original poly to give the new lacquer something to adhere to then sprayed over the top. I wasn't fussed about the tonal effects of nitro vs poly, particularly on a cheap electric mandolin, just always fancied a Pelham Blue Firebird and this seemed like a fun way to get one.

As far as making a neck was concerned, I got a friend with a router to cut the truss rod channel, then roughed it out using a band saw and did the rest with plains, spoke shave, rasps and scraper. There's a Rosewood headstock veneer on it, and I bought a pre slotted fingerboard sawn off at I think the second fret to get a 22" scale length. Takes a while but I don't think it's particularly difficult if you go slowly, and it means you can get it exactly the dimensions you want rather than buy an off the peg finished neck - not that anywhere sells tenor guitar necks that I know of anyway.

Archived