Gibson Brands Forums

Am I pricing my '68 J50 too high?!

Mustardeer

It's got 2 repaired cracks in the back. She's been sitting on craigslist for over a week at $1225 and I only had one bite. Lowered the price to 1150 yesterday and still nothing.

I've been out of it for a few years. Did the market change that much? I was expecting to sell it rather quickly. I thought the value of my instrument was around 1500? Am I way off?

I'm in Los Angeles.

post-59626-085274800 1380310787_thumb.jpg

post-59626-022754600 1380311010_thumb.jpg

It's got 2 repaired cracks in the back. She's been sitting on craigslist for over a week at $1225 and I only had one bite. Lowered the price to 1150 yesterday and still nothing.

I've been out of it for a few years. Did the market change that much? I was expecting to sell it rather quickly. I thought the value of my instrument was around 1500? Am I way off?

I'm in Los Angeles.

I could be wrong, but, if you have a 1 and 9/16ths nut, that would be why the small response. I had a chance to buy a J-50 two years ago, and had to pass because I just cou;dn't play that width/string separation. Also, some Craigslist lookers want what they buy to be under $10, however correct your valuation of your guitar is. Would you consider listing in other towns (Memphis??, Nashville?)

Rick

I'm in Los Angeles.

I could be wrong, but, if you have a 1 and 9/16ths nut, that would be why the small response. I had a chance to buy a J-50 two years ago, and had to pass because I just couldn't play that width/string separation. Also, some Craigslist lookers want what they buy to be under $10, however correct your valuation of your guitar is. Would you consider listing in other towns (Memphis??, Nashville?)

Rick

I have a 68 j45 adj, the same guitar as yours just in sunburst, that had a partial refret, newer tuners, and a crack in the top. I think I got a deal a bit under $1000, but agree with the rest that the nut width is really tricky and if buyers are aware of it, will prob keep them away. However I love the tone of mine, I'd say keep it there and go out of your way to get people to play it, so they can look past the stats and measurements and online forum experts and judge for themselves.

Oh, and always make sure they pay in cash

Good luck

I'm in Los Angeles.

The "market" is the "market"....and yes, the 'economy' is soft as far as I can see! Just like Real Estate, you have to be patient or make a "short-sale"...Thanks "O"...and the rest of the politicos'

I've been watching Gibson guitars on eBay and I'm astounded at how many decent guitars sit at fair prices, often lower than what the 'winner' of a bid item pays for the same model. If you'd had told me I'd be able to purchase a 2004 Gibson SJ for $1500, flat out, I'd not have paid a whopping $1600 for mine, which I had thought was a nice deal.

Crazy market, but then the constant raising of retail prices in a soft market only magnifies the gap.

Archived