Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra-339- USB Troubles

PePena

Hi folks,

Recently joined the Epiphone family, and I couldn't be happier. Well, except for one thing, which is why I'm here for your help. I know there have been similar help topics to this, but nothing quite this specific.

I just received an Epiphone Ultra 339, second hand. The guitar is in a perfect condition, not one scratch on it. Everything works great, the built in tuner, the nanomag, and the pickup system switcher. Beautiful tones, satisfies my desire for both a hollow-body guitar and an electric-acoustic. What is not working is the USB interface, which is a big frustration for me as it was one of the selling points of the guitar.

I can plug the guitar into my Mac via USB 2.0 cable, and the computer recognizes it as a "USB PnP Device." I've set the data rate to 41khz, opened up Garageband, set the parameters for the input device, tried to record, and... nothing. I've triple checked everything, volume knobs, MIDI connections, inputs and outputs, changed the battery in the guitar tried, Logic Pro, Audacity, but nothing wants to work. Is it the guitar?

2 important notes:

1. Although there is no sound from the pickups going to the computer, when I wiggle the usb cable and unplug it, there is a "unplug spike" noise that is generated, so I know at least that the computer is fine and receiving the signal.

2. The USB cable I'm using is NOT the one bundled with the guitar. I have tried 5 different USB 2.0 cables of my own, none work. The previous owner did not have the bundled cable to give to me.

3. I've read that the usb cable is supposed to supply power to the guitar. Does that mean the tuner lights should turn on? Mine do not.

Is there some trick I'm missing? could it just be loose wiring? Or should return the bloody thing?

I mean, it's not the biggest deal that the USB doesn't work as I have an audio interface, it's just the fact that I've paid for something that doesn't fully work.

Thanks for your help folks,

Cheers,

PePena

I am not a Mac guy

I'm only mentioning this in case you didn't receive the install/setup sheet ... there are a couple of other steps according to the Mac instructions; create an aggregate device and set up routing for the aggregate device. pdf page 9

http://www2.epiphone.com/press/WEB_UltraIIIDriver.pdf

I've used different USB cables with my U339 with no problems, although I rarely plug it in via USB any more.

Coil tapping? Are you sure? I only asl b/c *my* stock U339 does NOT have coil tapping. If yours does, maybe it was modded and the USB function got horked up in the process.

Or maybe the U339 features changed somewhere along the way ...

I am not a Mac guy

I'm only mentioning this in case you didn't receive the install/setup sheet ... there are a couple of other steps according to the Mac instructions; create an aggregate device and set up routing for the aggregate device. pdf page 9

http://www2.epiphone.com/press/WEB_UltraIIIDriver.pdf

I've used different USB cables with my U339 with no problems, although I rarely plug it in via USB any more.

Coil tapping? Are you sure? I only asl b/c *my* stock U339 does NOT have coil tapping. If yours does, maybe it was modded and the USB function got horked up in the process.

Or maybe the U339 features changed somewhere along the way ...

Mmm. My apologies. By coil-tapping, I meant the pickup system selector. Not too familiar with the term, haha.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try setting up an aggregate device. Not too hopeful, but we'll see.

Also, when you plug yours in, do the lights turn on? I've read that the computer supplies power to the guitar, not sure if that's happening with mine, as my lights do not turn on.

Mmm. My apologies. By coil-tapping, I meant the pickup system selector. Not too familiar with the term, haha.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try setting up an aggregate device. Not too hopeful, but we'll see.

Also, when you plug yours in, do the lights turn on? I've read that the computer supplies power to the guitar, not sure if that's happening with mine, as my lights do not turn on.

Yes, the lights turn on when I plug into the PC. I do have a battery installed in the guitar, so I don't that the guitar is powered by the USB port. I also get the lights enabled when I plug a regular cord into the mono guitar jack.

Do you have a battery installed in the guitar?

Yes, the lights turn on when I plug into the PC. I do have a battery installed in the guitar, so I don't that the guitar is powered by the USB port. I also get the lights enabled when I plug a regular cord into the mono guitar jack.

Do you have a battery installed in the guitar?

I do indeed. Just put a new one in too. The lights go on when I plug in the mono, but not in the USB.

Hmm. Loose connection?

Hard to say. BTW, the manual says USB will power the guitar to save battery power. Also any USB cable will work.

I hate to say this, but the USB port might be toasted. Could be the port on your Mac I suppose ...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived