Gibson Brands Forums

Machine talking cockney to me

Rabs

LOL.. what a weird experience... I have just moved home as some of you know... I basically live on the borders of Essex and London but where I was and was brought up was Essex, where I have moved I am now officially in east London.

So I went to use a local cash machine today and wasn't expecting to be offered a choice of languages

(sorry for the dodgy phone cam pics :))

20131008_163936_zpse2682d3c.jpg

So I choose Cockney just for the laugh and indeed every option has a cockney rhyming slang lol :)

20131008_163958_zpsbd61277b.jpg

20131008_164018_zpsa01be957.jpg

Fast Sausage and Mash (cash)

20131008_164039_zpsb9a00fd8.jpg

lol.. you got me on this one :)

20131008_164057_zpsea8d26e8.jpg

Has anyone else seen that?.. Do Southern American cash machines talk in a local accent? :)

Love it! Being a Londoner myself, I am noticing it getting used less and less, more so outside of London, and almost never in Stoke where I am based now. I confuse the hell out of people when I speak one iota of it :D

Love it! Being a Londoner myself, I am noticing it getting used less and less, more so outside of London, and almost never in Stoke where I am based now. I confuse the hell out of people when I speak one iota of it :D

Haha yeah I hardly hear it at all any more.. Even when im in like the Hackney/Bow type area you rarely hear it... I sometimes come out with a saying or two but its not often..

Its weird actually I was thinking about it the other day.. Its a unique type of slang.. Most slang words shorten the language, the cockneys have done the opposite and made it almost song like lol... My parents also both grew up in the East End (Bethnal Green) and if anything I was always taught to speak and pronounce words properly (well anything is better than a heavy Essex accent lol ;)).. I tend to move between East London, Essex and just a general London accent myself it kind of depends whos company im in :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I like the humor but really? Cockney rhyming slang isn't a language and no cockney would ever find they couldn't understand a normal cash machine. Surely this is for tourists?

Interestingly the origins of Cockney rhyming slang are in crime. The criminals used to use it when discussing their "jobs" in pubs etc.

I wonder how much cockney rhyming slang is in use unwittingly...

Here are some words that come from Cockney rhymes...

Raspberry (as in blowing a raspberry)

Berk

Rosey (as in tea)

Aris (as in up yur aris)

Barnet (as in hair)

Brass tacks (as in, "let's get down to brass tacks")

Cobbler's (as in "couldn't give a....")

Half inch (as to steel something)

Bristol's (as in, pair of)

Bread (as in money)

Porky (as in lying)

Scarper

It can be surprising how much is in common usage and how few people realise the meaning...

Ever called anyone a Berk? Better check that one out, much ruder than you'd think.

A Berkshire Hunt isn't a nice thing to call someone that's for sure, unless of course they really are one, but that's still not very nice :P

I use it all the time (rhyming slang) knowing its origin and whatnot, because I was brought up with it in every day use. My wife is a Stokie and comes out with what is known as 'The Potters' language and it's even harder to decipher than the rhyming slang.

Guest Farnsbarns

A Berkshire Hunt isn't a nice thing to call someone that's for sure, unless of course they really are one, but that's still not very nice :P

I use it all the time (rhyming slang) knowing its origin and whatnot, because I was brought up with it in every day use. My wife is a Stokie and comes out with what is known as 'The Potters' language and it's even harder to decipher than the rhyming slang.

Interesting... Have you heard of Aussie rhyming slang?

I like the humor but really? Cockney rhyming slang isn't a language and no cockney would ever find they couldn't understand a normal cash machine. Surely this is for tourists?

Yeah I just think its someones idea of a joke.. Its certainly no tourist area around here :)

It did make me laugh though so I guess it worked ;)

Archived