Gibson Brands Forums

Any other color?

addonexus02

Epi's made Maestro SG's in cherry with chrome hardware, ebony with gold hardware, and an alpine white, HHH Custom with gold hardware. All three look great, but I'm not a fan of pelham blue guitars. If you want an older Epi Maestro SG, keep an eye out for used ones, they pop up every once in a while. There's aftermarket Maestro add-on kits but they're expensive, of hit or miss quality, and when you install them, you have two big holes on the front of the guitar from where the posts were for the stop bar. Much better to get a factory-installed Maestro. There's always a possibility Epi could introduce a new model in another color new year with their anniversary coming up. They really should have a '62 Maestro SG in cherry in regular production. BTW, all of their Maestro SG's so far have the small angelwing pickguard. I'd love to see them offer a Maestro with a large batwing pickguard '66 SG, in a few colors too.

I'd played half a dozen Epi Maestro's, and they've all been made of very heavy, hard wood. Les Paul weight. I imagine this is intentional so the Maestro screws don't come loose in the wood with use, and the long SG neck doesn't warp or crack. Some guys are like gorillas with their whammy bars. Over the years I've played dozens of G-400's of various models and editions, and all of them have been lightweight, 5 or 6 lbs.

thats what i did. i added the trem later

the mastro one is expensive but theres a no name one for half the price. i forget wher i got it but try angela instruments. or one of those on line parts places.

I'd love to see a picture of that SG with the maestro u put on. I was gonna do that with my old SG but then got rid.

theres a pic here. i left in the pieces inthe body or id have had to refinish the top of the guitar. im not concerned about the look but if you choose to remove then and fill the holes then its a refinish job for the top at least. ive thought of changing the color to the same as duane allman had but i just never got around to it. besides it plays great. i think your gonna find that the mastro is alot more sensetive than a bigsby or fender type tremelo and you can get some good vibrato effect with it. i dont dive bomb so i cant say about that. but its got the look. thing is unless the guitar comes with it in the first place you got to make that choice. dimensionally the trem is exactly the same just dont have the engraving. for half the price and the same functionality. they can keep the engraving

theres a pic here. i left in the pieces inthe body or id have had to refinish the top of the guitar. im not concerned about the look but if you choose to remove then and fill the holes then its a refinish job for the top at least. ive thought of changing the color to the same as duane allman had but i just never got around to it. besides it plays great. i think your gonna find that the mastro is alot more sensetive than a bigsby or fender type tremelo and you can get some good vibrato effect with it. i dont dive bomb so i cant say about that. but its got the look. thing is unless the guitar comes with it in the first place you got to make that choice. dimensionally the trem is exactly the same just dont have the engraving. for half the price and the same functionality. they can keep the engraving

Looks nice that mate , good job!

Question for u. Did u have to ground it or is the grounding to the bridge on an SG?

Question for u. Did u have to ground it or is the grounding to the bridge on an SG?

as i recall grounding is to the bridge through one of the posts in the body. that pic is around 5 years old. i was in the middle of restringing the 325 ric after putting on the new bigsby bow tie bridge. and someone wanted to compaire an sg to the ric. so thats why the photo is as it is. the only thing with installation of the one i have or the mastro. is this one the part you may think on the under frame that would go on the end of the guitar goes under the cover. so dont make that mistake. and two . those little screws that hold the cover on the frame... well they arent the easiest thing to deal with. so when and if you do this ... just get them all started first because if you tighten one then the cover moves and you cant start the others. also do it on a large table because youll defenitly drop one of those tiny cover screws ...i can tell you looking round on the floor for one that has bounced off somewhere is no fun. lol it took a bit of paitience but was really worth it . also this in my opinion better balances the guitar as the large epi headstock tends to off balance the sg.

as i recall grounding is to the bridge through one of the posts in the body. that pic is around 5 years old. i was in the middle of restringing the 325 ric after putting on the new bigsby bow tie bridge. and someone wanted to compaire an sg to the ric. so thats why the photo is as it is. the only thing with installation of the one i have or the mastro. is this one the part you may think on the under frame that would go on the end of the guitar goes under the cover. so dont make that mistake. and two . those little screws that hold the cover on the frame... well they arent the easiest thing to deal with. so when and if you do this ... just get them all started first because if you tighten one then the cover moves and you cant start the others. also do it on a large table because youll defenitly drop one of those tiny cover screws ...i can tell you looking round on the floor for one that has bounced off somewhere is no fun. lol it took a bit of paitience but was really worth it . also this in my opinion better balances the guitar as the large epi headstock tends to off balance the sg.

I'm sure that will make sense when I go to do it. I just need an sg again now. Knew I shouldn't have got rid of it!

Any other pics of the maestro would be cool by the way hint hint. Looks great though, good job!

no cant find another withthe mastro on it but heres one with the same guitar with a bigsby on it before i bought the mastro. it has the old pick guard as well. the other is of a previous sg the color id like to make the one i have some day. believe it or not the other one is cut like a gibson vs the epiphone cut in the 90s

post-25128-012859400 1381782187_thumb.jpg

post-25128-076570000 1381782287_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-G400-SG-Deluxe-Limited-Edition-with-Maestro-MADE-IN-KOREA-/271294274664?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f2a661c68

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-by-Gibson-G-400-Ebony-SG-Custom-with-Gold-Maestro-Tremolo-Hardware-NIB-/221296623708?pt=Guitar&hash=item33864e805c

heres a couple for ya already got the mastro on em. and then if it doesnt have to be an epiphone ....well theres this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galveston-Clear-Acryllic-Lucite-Plexiglas-SG-Electric-Guitar-See-Through-Glass-/321216197942?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ac9fa3536

mu guess is the second one will be priced close to new at store prices. as tothe galveston. well i had a clear strat for a while. right out of the box it sounded good but the lucite body is heavier than the wood ones. but not too overly heavy.. just though id post this incase you were interested in something completely different.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-G400-SG-Deluxe-Limited-Edition-with-Maestro-MADE-IN-KOREA-/271294274664?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f2a661c68

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-by-Gibson-G-400-Ebony-SG-Custom-with-Gold-Maestro-Tremolo-Hardware-NIB-/221296623708?pt=Guitar&hash=item33864e805c

heres a couple for ya already got the mastro on em. and then if it doesnt have to be an epiphone ....well theres this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Galveston-Clear-Acryllic-Lucite-Plexiglas-SG-Electric-Guitar-See-Through-Glass-/321216197942?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ac9fa3536

mu guess is the second one will be priced close to new at store prices. as tothe galveston. well i had a clear strat for a while. right out of the box it sounded good but the lucite body is heavier than the wood ones. but not too overly heavy.. just though id post this incase you were interested in something completely different.

I'm in the uk mate but gotta be cherry. Always wanted a maestro though

Archived