Gibson Brands Forums

Model numbers

RichG

Specifically, the number on the end. I read somewhere while trying to learn about label colors that a "2" on the end of the model number meant it was a second, but I think that's wrong. What does it mean?

The model RS45TBNH2 is a 1950 J45 tri burst re-issue. Does the "2" indicate a re-issue? Both my SCSJ and AJ have a "1" as the last character.

Thanks

Rich

I think so. Years ago in 1985 Gibson stopped labeling seconds and now all the model numbers end in 1 which signifies that it is not b stock or a 2nd. For example my 2012 SJ TV: RSSVVSNH1 and my 2013 AJ: HLAJVSGH1.

There was probably a minor blemish somewhere and the guitar it got marked a second and sold at a discounted price. In later years Gibson stamped the headstock with a "2".

Specifically, the number on the end. I read somewhere while trying to learn about label colors that a "2" on the end of the model number meant it was a second, but I think that's wrong. What does it mean?

The model RS45TBNH2 is a 1950 J45 tri burst re-issue. Does the "2" indicate a re-issue? Both my SCSJ and AJ have a "1" as the last character.

You can get the story on how to decode those model numbers here. As you'll see, that digit at the end has a variety of uses -- however, it definitely does not mean that the guitar is a second. (In this case, it might just mean that this guitar is not a RS45TBNH1. What the difference between the two models is, I have no idea.)

-- Bob R

Archived