Gibson Brands Forums

New tool on it's way!

Sitedrifter

I have always used feeler gauges to measure string height but it is annoying and I don't feel I can do it as accurately as I would want. I looked at Stewmac' action gauge ruler but my eyes are nto what they used to be. I then looked at stewmac's dial action gauge and what a cool tool but it is $60. I decided to get a digital caliper (have non digital ones now) that even comes with a nice rest for measuring depth (which is what I want) Depth_foot_for_c_4d5adf662287a.jpg

I will put a couple of notched in the foot so it clears the frets.

Cheaper then a dial gauge yet just as good in my opinion.

I also picked up a notched fretboard ruler so I can accurately check the neck relief.

Think I am set for now.. LOL

I'm not sure I understand how you are going to use the caliper to gauge action and what if any role that standard gauge thingy plays.

I use stewmacs little rectangular action gauge. Works beautifully.

String_Action_Gauge_sm.jpg

Yes, I have that one, but I don't know what I am doing!

My luthier guy has a strange looking multi -tool gadget that he goes zap, zap, zap "AHA!" and then turns it another end and measures the string thickness, among other duties.

I have to say though - if StewMac opened a real live shop, I would turn into my father, put on a blues coat and go and stare at the wares! Their stuff is the best!

BluesKing777.

Just so people don't think I'm nuts, here is a pic of the straightedge laid flat across the frets, in the middle of the fingerboard, extended to the bridge. The edge clears the bridge by a full a full 1/8th inch (8/64ths). The action at the 12th fret measures a solid 6/64ths. Plays a bit higher than my other guitars, but really is pretty good, and sounds terrific. The frets are perhaps a smidge high at .055 all up and down the board - so that may well correlate into a bit of this old stand by test too.

PB130632_zps708b9c72.jpg

I'm not sure I understand how you are going to use the caliper to gauge action and what if any role that standard gauge thingy plays.

I use stewmacs little rectangular action gauge. Works beautifully.

String_Action_Gauge_sm.jpg

The caliper has a depth extension on the end of it. You sit that on extension on the fret, lower the flat end of the gauge on top of the string and zero it out. You then press the gauge down to get the height. If you want to , before you zero it out, you can just take that reading and subtract the string thickness.

The caliper has a depth extension on the end of it. You sit that on extension on the fret, lower the flat end of the gauge on top of the string and zero it out. You then press the gauge down to get the height. If you want to , before you zero it out, you can just take that reading and subtract the string thickness.

Oh I think I see, yeah. I believe I have one of those around here, I'll pull it out and try it. Having some nice tools for this is very helpful, especially when you have a lot of guitars to maintain.

Archived