Gibson Brands Forums

Tomato / Tomatoe

HankCole

I have a 1972 Les Paul "Model." That is all that is on the headstock ; other than Gibson of course. (Yeah the one I broke the neck on) I was in the music store the other day and saw what looked like my Les Paul but it had "Standard" on the headstock. Anyone know anything about the evolution of the Model / Standard? Just courious.

...Im sure some of the more knowledgeable guys around here will know the exact story with dates and everything, but for now, all I can tell you is gibson has changed the headstock writing a lot. Sometimes it says les paul model, some special eds have the holy, sometimes it just says les paul, sometimes it says les paul+standard/classic and so on. Sometimes the TRC has the model writen on it.

Any of you guys know the correct year for each of those variations?

Actually the word "Standard" didnt appear on TRC's untill 1960. Thats why to call a Les Paul a Standard before 1960 would be more or less incorrect. Then after that I saw no ryme nor reason or pattern as to which models got them and which ones didnt. The LP I bought in 1991 did have "Standard" on the TRC. The LP I bought last January came with a blank..no Standard. My R9 that I bought a few months ago didnt have it, but its a 1959 reissue so I suppose its not historically acurate to include it on the guitar.

I think to save a few pennies Gibby has decided to leave them blank....I may be wrong.

i have never seen "standard" on a 1960. when the SG/LPs came out the TRC said les paul or les paul custom. the "standard" TRC didn't come out until the mid 70s.

there are earlier examples or TRCs that say other things, but not the script "standard" like he is talking.

i have never seen "standard" on a 1960. when the SG/LPs came out the TRC said les paul or les paul custom. the "standard" TRC didn't come out until the mid 70s.

there are earlier examples or TRCs that say other things, but not the script "standard" like he is talking.

dunno...I got this information from the Haynes Les Paul manual.

they have said "model" on the headstock script since they came out. the truss rods were blank (or said les paul custom) until the mid 70s. they started being called "standard" in late 58 or early 59 in the catalogs.

Correct mostly. If you go over to Gruhn's site there's a '53 that says "Les Paul Model" on the headstock. There is also a 1960 Les Paul SG Standard that just has "Les Paul" on the TRC and a 1961 Les Paul SG Custom that has the same...the Custom has the full name on the pickguard between the neck and the neck pickup...it says "Les Paul Custom" Some later models just say "Custom" (like the one from '63).

And didn't the Deluxe's that came out in '69 say Deluxe?

Correct mostly. If you go over to Gruhn's site there's a '53 that says "Les Paul Model" on the headstock. There is also a 1960 Les Paul SG Standard that just has "Les Paul" on the TRC and a 1961 Les Paul SG Custom that has the same...the Custom has the full name on the pickguard between the neck and the neck pickup...it says "Les Paul Custom" Some later models just say "Custom" (like the one from '63).

And didn't the Deluxe's that came out in '69 say Deluxe?

yeah, my first reply covered other anomolies like these.

and yeah, the deluxe said "deluxe"

Archived