Gibson Brands Forums

Replacing Machine Tuners

Nev

Greeting, I'm a new member to this forum, and I'm looking for some advice.

I have a 1982 Cherry V, a 2006 White V, and a 1984 Blk LP Custom. I'm barely playing these because they just won't stay in tune after moderate playing.

The 1982 V has a new nut, and a Tone Pros bridge, with Grover Deluxe vintage style tuners.

The 2006 V appears to be all stock, with Gibson Deluxe tuners.

The LP Custom has a Tone Pros bridge and Grover tuners.

Each one has been pro set up. I string them up just like the shop showed me. But after some moderate jamming with some solos, I gotta tune up. I've seen M. Schenker, Gary Moore, etc. beat the hell out of their guitars and the go into the next tune without tuning up.

So, I'm starting to think it's the machine tuners. I'd prefer to NOT have to drill new holes, but if it's going to help, then I will. I'd love to play them more but the tuning problems are making me hang them on a wall. Any suggestions on which tuners to consider? What else could it be?

Thanks for the info.

There is much to consider when changing tuners. Primarily, the post hole and ferrule diameters and the existing 'footprint' and mounting screws. If you shop right, you can find tuners of the same 'mounting' with no extra holes drilled or needed (preferable IMHO).

Secondly, I have found that most 'tuning issues' emminate from a poorly-slotted nut. Check it out.....[wink]

I'm with retro, not the ALWAYS tunners..

The nut slots could be where much of your problems could be.

try some "Big Bends Nut Sauce".. check the u-tube vids on where/how to apply the sauce based on what your setup is,

and have you had your nut properly regulated? out of the box, the nuts are most often NOT filed/slotted properly from the factory.

(This is allows a tech to setup the nut based on your most common string type/and gauge)

the other thing is when you change the strings, do you make sure you stretch them a bit? this will settle them down quicker than and help you maintain stable tuning after a re-string.

Bingo - most problems with machine heads go around use, best way of restringing, convenience of handling etc. Changing tuners can make things different in many cases but not better basically.

As for me, I don't like the slotted Fender tuners with a hole in the middle on lead guitars but learned to deal with 'em. Sometimes even a 54 years ol' boy finds a challenge to prove his ability to learn something being new to him... [rolleyes] never had to deal with this stuff before! [biggrin]

I have three Flying V's with stock tuners and no tuning problems. I think I've only seen one bad tuner on a guitar, A Takamine I still have from the '80's. Not even the cheapest tuners like those on my 60 Melody Maker seem to lose tune. I have had the most tuning problems due to sticky nuts (ha ha) or bad intonation. Also, fretting too hard or pulling too hard on a V's neck (like with an SG) can pull it out of tune. You might also check to make sure you do not have too much or too little string wrapped around your tuner; might lead to strings slipping or prolonged time before it is completely stretched out.

Archived