Gibson Brands Forums

A new model suggestion...the Tomkat

Elias Graves

I used to have an AlleyKat. Kinda had a live/hate thing with it for reason that don't matter here but I liked the basic design.

Wanting some slightly different specs, however, I made my own Kat.

It's the same type of cheered construction but mine has no center block and a flat walnut top with no f holes.

Pickups are Duncan Phat Cats.

Headstock is slightly different than a normal Kat, but, whatever. It's my design.

Anyway, Epiphone, you should totally make the Tom Kat!

3A3105B7-84A7-4046-8EE2-EAE80147DA27-1575-00000396A386EACD_zps9590b2c1.jpg

62DC1F25-88DA-4755-A4AE-22BAF6989685-854-000001888BCF2704_zpsdfc0a3e0.jpg

To go over with players, it really needs a tune-o-matic; they have this hang up about intonation. Looks like it would be neck-heavy. Overall, not that much different than a P-90 LP Special, which they did a limited edition of a few years ago. Epiphone would probably want a pair of dog ears on it. The hollowbody with no F holes concept is interesting, but I don't know how many people will line up outside a music store to get one. How's it with feedback?

It doesn't feed back any more than a Les Paul. No f holes and a solid 1/4" walnut top will take of that issue. :D The sustain is unreal, though. It'll hand a chord out there for a good long while.

Not neck heavy at all. 7 1/2 pounds and well balanced.

In production, an ES-175 style bridge would work nicely, I imagine. That'd solve the need for intonation adjustments. Not an issue here, as I simply cut the bridge slots where they needed to be. That'd be tough for a production model.

But, yes, it is along the lines of a Junior or a Special in how it's set up. I like simplicity and this fits the bill.

My goal was a hollow body that I wasn't afraid to take out to a bar to play and be scared to death all night it would get banged up. It's pretty solid.

Elias, make me one.. Nice looking and sounding guitar there, nice snake head headstock. You could put a different, intoneateable bridge on that I would think, the one on it looks "solid" [biggrin] . What would be a good one ? Nice work. Are you building an amp to go with it ? [thumbup]

Thanks.

No, I'm not building for anyone. This was just me messing around in the shop. I'd have to charge $50,000 to cover the labor, given all the hours I have in it. :D

As for bridges, sure, I could put any floater on it.

The first bridge was a standard stew mac style adjustable rosewood model. With flat base.

7832A521-909B-4B02-A847-DCACFCC6805C-854-000001889847860A_zps5a3d7661.jpg

If it looks a little like an Epi I'm not surprised. I made the body template by tracing my son's Epi LP and then expanding it to 14.5" wide. The proportions should be real close to a Kat. It sure feels and handles just like my old Alley Kat did. A little bit lighter but not by much.

That Kat was my mental guide when I was building this. That's why I used the "Tom Kat" gag. I would like to see Epi do a hollow version of the Kat. Throw some dogears on it and a trap tail....I'd buy one.

As for building an amp? No way.

I am building an experimental cab at the moment, however....

But I don't know enough electronics to make and troubleshoot an amp.

Throw a Bigsby, roller bridge, nut and a Varitone on it.

Varitone? Possibly the least-used device ever put on a guitar. A feature almost no one wants that adds to the cost. That's a sure way to put a damper on sales. It would probably necessitate a back cover panel, like Lucille's have. The concept of this guitar is simplicity, not to see how much stuff you can pile on it to increase the cost and weight.

Epiphone toyed around with making a semi-hollow with no f-holes in 2002. It never made it out the front door.

Whew. An unusual combinations of features to say the least, probably not what the average semi-hollowbody player would get excited about. I don't think the EMG's and black hardware were a good fit for that kind of guitar; guys that play metal like those things. The TP-6 is a high-end feature rarely found on an Epi (which adds to the cost), but then they eliminated fret inlays, which is associated with cost-savings on entry-level models. Who were they going to market it to? Lots of mixed signals, not a clear identity. I think it would have confused players, which is probably why they pulled the plug.

I think Epi could come up with a successful no-F-hole semi or full hollowbody if they targeted the right genres, like blues, classic rock, or jazz, and kept the feaures consistent with what those players like. Most of those guys would want PAF's or P-90's, chrome hardware, a stop bar or trapeze tailpiece, fret inlays, and warmer colors showing woodgrain or flame. That would be a lot more appealing. I could see those selling from the aspect of feedback reduction.

Yeah, EMGs and a locknut on a semi are pretty pointless. I definitely can agree with that. I think the band was some scream-o group or something. But Epiphone never explored the no f-hole design any further than this, unfortunately.

They're supposed to be coming out with a number of new models next year for the anniversary. Maybe...

A hollow with F holes and traditional looks & PUs?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/Midtown-Kalamazoo.aspx

And reasonably priced (for a Gibson). If only they had a heritage cherry sunburst finish...

That's set up quite similar to mine. A bit dressier, however.

One of my main goals in building this one was to construct a rugged, trouble-free hollow that could play live and travel well. That was part of my decision for no f holes. Also why the top is so thick. For this, I wanted basic no frills that a could grab and go without worrying too much about it getting damaged. I think I succeeded there. We played the hell out of it last weekend (and will do again tonight :) ) and had no issues at all. It was loud but never had feedback, stayed in tune and the bridge never budged. The weight is a little heavier than, say, a 330 but lighter than most 335s and the balance is good.

Here it is with the bridge polished and oiled.

AA6C684F-9677-41EF-9647-F63319A147D7-650-000001A4238A98DF_zps40fb3c3b.jpg

I'm very pleased with the bridge. It'd never fly on a production guitar but this isn't a production guitar.

91283B32-6654-48F3-89EB-3323990DF7FE-650-000001A41568C606_zpsd3f0ab1f.jpg

Archived