Gibson Brands Forums

What color is this LP???

Guitar Gakuse

So it's some sort of honeyburst?

The guitar's in the shop right now getting cleaned/polished. Also having them put in Seymour Duncan SH-2n on the neck and pearly gates on the bridge, both black and creme. Gutting it and replacing all electronics and wiring. Putting in vintage bumblebee pulls; 0.047 on neck and 0.033 on bridge. Also going push pull on both pups. Excited to play it when it's done.

No Desertbursts until 2003. Its a Honeyburst...technically speaking, of course.

What they're calling honeyburst these days is more of a dark yellowish color, not reddish brown like these pics. It's confusing. If you look at eBay, some sellers have no idea what the official color of their guitar is, and can call almost anything 'honeyburst.' Does Epi have a something with color samples, like they do when you buy a can of paint? That would clear up a lot of the guessing. Maybe some of the problem is that they had contract makers in Korea whose colors weren't quite Epi specs, and they may have varied a lot. I think what comes out of China now is more likely to be the official colors and names. Of course it doesn't help that Gibson has their own set of names for their colors.

Hey guys.

I just bought this LP from a pawnshop and I'm wondering which color option it is. It is a 2000 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. The top looks amazing but need to know which color it is.

Thanks in advance!

http://postimg.org/image/4uuumsipt/

To me it looks like heritage cherry. To my eyes it seems too dark to be honeyburst.

Here is one I used to own; 2001 heritage cherry plus top

2001EpiLPStdCherry_2.jpg

To me it looks like heritage cherry. To my eyes it seems too dark to be honeyburst.

It's a great color, wish I knew what Epiphone called it. I thought that was 'heritage cherry' too, but have also seen cherry bursts (with separate yellow and red sections) called heritage cherry.

The question is asked frequently about this color (and other similar colors) on Les Paul in many forum threads - ad infinitum. There is never a difinitive anwser, as the lines were blurred a bit with this color depending on the year, factory and batch of paint used. This is always about the Korean models as well. With the move to Qingdao, Epiphone has tightened up the the variances quite a bit.

The only way to know for sure is from the original paperwork with the guitar's model information. Sometimes this info was on a little sticker on the neck of the guitar, but more often than not, it gets removed.

I uploaded some Epiphone color charts to the wiki, but none from 2000. I have 1999, 2002 & 2003. That may help a little, but again, the colors varied even from the official charts.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Epiphone_Color_Charts

The question is asked frequently about this color (and other similar colors) on Les Paul in many forum threads - ad infinitum. There is never a difinitive anwser, as the lines were blurred a bit with this color depending on the year, factory and batch of paint used. This is always about the Korean models as well. With the move to Qingdao, Epiphone has tightened up the the variances quite a bit.

The only way to know for sure is from the original paperwork with the guitar's model information. Sometimes this info was on a little sticker on the neck of the guitar, but more often than not, it gets removed.

I uploaded some Epiphone color charts to the wiki, but none from 2000. I have 1999, 2002 & 2003. That may help a little, but again, the colors varied even from the official charts.

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Epiphone_Color_Charts

Using the 2003 color chart, I would say that mine is a Worn Cherry.

Thanks for this

• 3 weeks later...

Archived