Gibson Brands Forums

Wildkat vs. Les Paul Standard

mpe3us

I have played guitar in a half year and currently own a cheap Fender Squier. I have decided it's time for an upgrade and I have been looking at two guitars:

The Wildkat (link) and the Les Paul Standard (link).

I'm in love with the Wildkat and a semi-hollow guitar seems really interesting, but I got a feeling that the Les Paul Standard would be better for me as I'm still a beginner and it would cover

a larger range of music genres.

So my question is, which guitar do you guys think I should get?

tl;dr

Should I get the Wildkat or the Les Paul Standard?

WILDKAT WILDKAT WILDKAT!!!

Ok, now for the more subtle approach. What sort of music do you play (or intend to play)? I have a Wildkat and I can tell you it works well for everything from jazz to blues to 60's surf. Not so good for metal (which suits me just fine). It's a semi-hollow but it's routed which means very little issue with feedback because it doesn't have the volume of a larger capped body. Obviously the Wildkat is the more exotic looking too - every man and his dog has a Les Paul (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

Have you played both? Which felt and sounded better to you? You'd probably be happy either way, but I really would recommend the Wildkat.

I'll second Sada's comments. I have a Wildkat and a Gibby LP. I'd recommend you try to play both if you can because ergonomically, they're somewhat different, and the LP weighs about 2-3 pounds more. Also, the Kat has P90's and the LP has Humbuckers, so you'll get a bit of a different sound as well. And the Kat has a Bigsby, the LP doesn't.

The Wildkat is a very versatile guitar, capable of some great sounds, not that the LP isn't, but personally, if I had to pick only one of the two, I'd go with the Wildkat.

WILDKAT WILDKAT WILDKAT!!!

Ok, now for the more subtle approach. What sort of music do you play (or intend to play)? I have a Wildkat and I can tell you it works well for everything from jazz to blues to 60's surf. Not so good for metal (which suits me just fine). It's a semi-hollow but it's routed which means very little issue with feedback because it doesn't have the volume of a larger capped body. Obviously the Wildkat is the more exotic looking too - every man and his dog has a Les Paul (not that there's anything wrong with that...).

Have you played both? Which felt and sounded better to you? You'd probably be happy either way, but I really would recommend the Wildkat.

I haven't yet found my own style of music to play, but I currently do like to play rock, metal, blues, indie and prog.

I haven't been able to try the Wildkat, since I can't find a music-store who has it in stock where I live.

But yea, I really like the look of the Wilkat too :P

For what it's worth, I'm sure you'd love either one! [thumbup]

As to what's best for what music?...That's largely in the mind

of the player. Most guitars, will work, for most musical styles.

Some may "seem" more suited to one or another, but that's largely

"marketing" and/or personal preference, of the particular artists,

in each of those genres. Play them both, through a variety of amps,

clean, and "crunchy," and see which one "trips YOUR trigger!"

It's really the only way to know. Everything else, is just opinion,

or their personal preference. To me, the amp makes more difference,

than the guitar. But, that's just me...and, a whole "nuther"

discussion.

Good Luck, and enjoy trying them all! [thumbup] That's half the

fun, anyway. [biggrin]

CB

My main guitar for years has been a Fender Stratocaster. The Wildkat Ltd. was my introduction to the world of Epiphone guitars. By comparison to a Fender Stratocaster (or her illegitimate sister from the Squire family [flapper] ), the Wildkat is a whole other breed of animal.

As an intermediate player who is still unsure of your personal style and preference, going from a Strat styled guitar to a Les Paul styled guitar may prove to be less of a leap, just based on the two being solid body guitars. Simple things like changing strings and keeping the guitar tuned can be more of a challenge for a less experienced guitarist on a Wildkat as apposed to a Les Paul type guitar, for instance. In fact, you may even consider the option of a Les Paul Studio type guitar over that of a Standard, as well.

Either way, I know you will be pleased by choosing an Epiphone guitar. I loved my Wildkat so much, just a few months later I sprung for a Sheraton II, a guitar I love more and more every time I play her (shhh, my Stratocaster is a bit jealous over this, too!).

Here we get into some interesting questions of what to play and how...

I don't have a Wildcat or an LP. The Wildcat would be my choice but... unlike some folks here, I'd do what I've done for ages with any sort of whammy bar - I'd disable it.

But why would I pick the one over the other?

Mostly it's a matter of feel. Actually I'm happiest with a 16-inch body archtop with the 24 3/4 scale like the 175 or a similarly shaped flattop. I have more than a few guitars, otoh, both electric and AE, that do not fit that description because they have their uses with material I do/have done.

I do not have an LP because it doesn't feel right. Marvelous potential, but I just can't be comfortable on it. Then again, I refuse to buy a Fender 6-string for the same reason - I very much dislike their neck shape and balance. It's not a corporate hate thing since I've been quite happy with Fender basses and amps - and currently own a F bass and 2 F amps.

The Wildcat offers a lot more physical comfort from my perspective. It weighs less as has been noted; it has the shorter "Gibson" scale, it's big enough to grab hold of an play with a number of player geometries. The single pole pups are different from the Fender single poles and overall IMHO it's more versatile...

Although... heck I'm a great proponent of folks playing whatever they wanna play on whatever guitar they're most comfortable with... I've played jazz on a flattop and rock on an archtop and country on about anything except a Fender 6-string.

Just one thought too...

If you have a chance to try some guits... try an Epi SG too.

m

Crust...

You nailed the "why."

They don't feel good. Actually I could be interested enough to give a shot at a 'Cat.

I've played lots of LPs. Never found one that helped me play. No Fender 6-string was even that good. Never owned one. Never liked the necks, especially. I think I could get along with a Tele if it were 24 to 24 3/4 scale with a 12-14" radius fingerboard and roughly a generalized gib/epi current neck shape.

I'm not saying other guitars aren't fine if they help other players play well. But...

Love 16-inch archtops and "classical" size guitars - scale and general body shape.

I've some AE "boomers" both square and round shouldered, that sit in the case. My one "board" is basically the early '70s Guild version of the SG. It's played all sorts of winter gigs from jazz to country to rock and blues; a great guitar that somehow helps me play. A cupla semis are 335 configuration and get some play depending... My Gretsch 16-inch archtop is fine, but not quite - and I'm not sure if it's the longer scale or what; I think that's "it."

Let's put it this way: my cheapie Epi PR5e is so overall comfortable, almost as much as a 175 general specs guitar, I'm almost willing to pay somebody to re-neck it with the shorter scale even though that'll cost more than the guitar.

Wanna take a wild guess what I play most at home? <grin> In fact, I'm considering a splurge on another - or an AE all-wood classical since my current 40-year-old Ovation Country Artist AE (nylon) really should stay home.

Back to what I play to relax at home after work? I'll give a hint: It's a 16-inch lower bout and a 24 3/4 inch scale...

m

Archived