Gibson Brands Forums

Trying to remove bridge saddles

Riptide

Guest Farnsbarns

Hmmm, I would say just lift the screw head vertically upwards, like an abr1 but it looks like there's little pinches to stop them moving. If that's the case I think you'd have to cut/grind/file them off first. Then you'd be relying on string pressure to keep them in, like an abr1. The downside is the screws and saddles tend to rise as you turn the screw and require reseating with a little downwards pressure. The wire on some abr1s largely cures the problem.

Looks to me like just turn the screw counter clockwise until it's off the screw.... :-k

There's a little raised part on the screw that keeps you from doing that :/

Why do you need to remove the saddles?

I need to flip a couple to get proper intonation.

Hmmm, I would say just lift the screw head vertically upwards, like an abr1 but it looks like there's little pinches to stop them moving. If that's the case I think you'd have to cut/grind/file them off first. Then you'd be relying on string pressure to keep them in, like an abr1. The downside is the screws and saddles tend to rise as you turn the screw and require reseating with a little downwards pressure. The wire on some abr1s largely cures the problem.

Alright, I think you are correct. (if I understand you correctly) What part has to be cut/ground/filed?

The reason I ask these questions is that the Badass bridge is designed with the added adjustment screws at the post slots, so it can be angled and adjusted for length in relation to the axis of the string path.

I put an original "Leo Quan Badass" on my reverse Firebird III back in the seventies, so I am somewhat familiar with the bridge, and I do not remember the saddles being removable. I seem to remember the saddles screws being crimped in at a collar on the screw head side, and floating in a "pilot" hole on the front side.

What I see as the real issue here is the fact that the differential between the "D" and "G" strings seems to need to be greater than the maximum opposing travel of the saddles. I have just put a micrometer on three of my bridges, and the differential between the "D" and "G" saddles hovers slightly one side or the other of .10". In all cases it was less than 1/8". Won't those saddles split by that amount on that bridge?

I think I would start over with a new fresh set of strings, and remember, "as close as it gets is sometimes good enough".

What I see as the real issue here is the fact that the differential between the "D" and "G" strings seems to need to be greater than the maximum opposing travel of the saddles. I have just put a micrometer on three of my bridges, and the differential between the "D" and "G" saddles hovers slightly one side or the other of .10". In all cases it was less than 1/8". Won't those saddles split by that amount on that bridge?

I think I would start over with a new fresh set of strings, and remember, "as close as it gets is sometimes good enough".

When I have the G saddle as long as it gets and the D saddle as close as it gets the G string goes sharp and (depending on how I have it set up) the D string goes flat.

Yeah I will do that. Yup, for sure!

Guest Farnsbarns

Right, the pinches made either side of the screws are clearer in those pics. As I suspected it is not designed to allow removal of the saddles. You might be able to remove the pinches but it looks like one hell of a task.the saddles seem to be cut very deep with a V shaped groove, I'd want to replace them, not just turn them around.

Right, the pinches made either side of the screws are clearer in those pics. As I suspected it is not designed to allow removal of the saddles. You might be able to remove the pinches but it looks like one hell of a task.the saddles seem to be cut very deep with a V shaped groove, I'd want to replace them, not just turn them around.

Yup, you are right. Well on the bright side, I got the intonation really close! I put some new strings on and did some magic tweaking. Hmm... what's wrong with a V shaped groove? :/ I probably should have bought a better bridge...

Archived