jmm555

I’m looking at two different Epiphone Dot’s,

To buy one online.

One is from Wildwood Guitar in Co.

The other from Sweetwater Music.

Epiphone’s Online Serial number checker/dater says:

One is made in Qingdao China.

The other is made in Indonesia.

What gives? Is the serial number checker wrong.

I might say the China plant is making better guitars, from a previous Epip I had.

Any info on this or preference in Counrty of Origin?

China vs Indonesia Epiphones.

They are mass produced guitars. I have them from both manufacturers. I'm not a trained luthier, but...50 years of guitar playing tells me there isn't much difference. Like any manufactured item, it has a blueprint, bill of materials, manufacturing process, quality control check points. Good manufacturing processes and quality control measures are in place to reduce/eliminate variability in the product. What I've experienced is that the guitars from both places are indistinguishable (other than serial numbers)for the same models. Variability has been basically eliminated from the production line manufacturing process, as much as economically possible, with the variability inherent in the "lots" of wood that are used. The guitars from both places are built "to spec" . B)

Ok, I'll agree.

Massed produced guitars; regardless of Country of Origin are somewhat the same.

I don't know what all this "Made in Korea" Epiphone talk is. China is right next door.

My PRS-SE guitar "Crafted in Korea" isn't any better, another low end model.

Indonesia, China, Korea, Japan, Mexico, and even the USA; I guess it doesn't matter.

A $399 guitar is just a $399 guitar. If made in the USA for $399 it would probably be worse.

Thank the world for cheap labor. Some of us are lucky to be on the receiving end.

It has been said that certain models made at one or another production facility are better than others (Korea, China, USA, Indonesia, Czechoslovakia...wherever). Who knows ? Like I said, mass produced "clones" from wherever are most likely quite similar if built to/with the exact same materials, specifications, quality checks and manufacturing processes.

+1 Supersonic. My '04 Korean Sheraton had some issues, fretboard inlays rough, cheap nut, rattly bridge, cheap electrics and pickups, all of which seem better on recent models. The colour seems slightly easier on the eye on mine though, very slightly less dark in the dark part (Vintage Sun Burst, VSB) and a slightly better tone to the yellow, but it's subtle.

Archived