Gibson Brands Forums

Lyra Whammy Bar Trick For Storage And Transport

capmaster

Thought I post it here since pulling a guitar out of the case badly detuned can be very annoying. Furthermore, tuning a vibrato equipped guitar isn't done that quickly, and it also ain't no party for the neck to deal with a coarsely inappropriate string tension for a longer period.

My personal trick is to bring the vibrato lever in parallel right over the string suspension like shown below. This mimizes the effect of the case lid pressing on it when closed. By the way, both my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs came packed this way stock, so they obviously know at Gibson how to achieve best performance.

simv.jpg

As you also may see from the picture, I replaced the stock Nashville Tune-O-Matic with a Schaller STMC roller bridge. The stock bridge was wobbling to and fro when performing just decent shimmering effects. There also appeared the infamous "blings" leaving strings detuned. The replacement enhances the tuning stability when decently using the Lyra vibrato or performing bendings. However, effects like those obtainable with a double-locking Floyd Rose of course are far out of reach.

Thought I post it here since pulling a guitar out of the case badly detuned can be very annoying. Furthermore, tuning a vibrato equipped guitar isn't done that quickly, and it also ain't no party for the neck to deal with a coarsely inappropriate string tension for a longer period.

My personal trick is to bring the vibrato lever in parallel right over the string suspension like shown below. This mimizes the effect of the case lid pressing on it when closed. By the way, both my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs came packed this way stock, so they obviously know at Gibson how to achieve best performance.

simv.jpg

As you also may see from the picture, I replaced the stock Nashville Tune-O-Matic with a Schaller STMC roller bridge. The stock bridge was wobbling to and fro when performing just decent shimmering effects. There also appeared the infamous "blings" leaving strings detuned. The replacement enhances the tuning stability when decently using the Lyra vibrato or performing bendings. However, effects like those obtainable with a double-locking Floyd Rose of course are far out of reach.

Looks Great, Capmaster! I wonder, if the tuning "blings" are the strings catching in the nut?!

Does it have the stock corian nut, still? If so, you might go to a bone nut, or even a "roller"

nut, maybe? IF you use the Maestro, a LOT...that might help, as well?! [biggrin] Just a thought.

CB

Looks Great, Capmaster! I wonder, if the tuning "blings" are the strings catching in the nut?!

Does it have the stock corian nut, still? If so, you might go to a bone nut, or even a "roller"

nut, maybe? IF you use the Maestro, a LOT...that might help, as well?! [biggrin] Just a thought.

CB

Up to now the corian nuts are on most of my Gibsons including both my FZ "Roxy" SGs. The "blings" that appeared when I used the vibrato seemed to come from the bridge first. Heavier use will cause detuning still, partly causing "blings" at the nuts, partly not. However, when using the Maestros subtly and carefully, they perform without trouble.

Perhaps I will have replaced some more of the stock corian nuts. Those of my Silverburst L6S 2011 and of my SG Supra were replaced with bone nuts by the Thomann service without charge. They were grooved a bit poorly stock.

I have that Schaller roller bridge on my SG Classic w/ a Bigsby and love it. The fact that the bridge was a direct drop in and doesn't have a lot of moving parts did it for me. On my other SG, I got talked into installing a Wilkinson roll brigde and I hate it. Guy had to drill new post holes and the thing is over engineered. Not recommended for anyone.

Thanks capmaster. As usual that makes good since, I was wondering if there was aright way or wrong way and the imprint in the case do tell the tale,I don't have trouble with it coming out of tune that much. thanks to Gibson .. I use mine a couple times a week out to the nursing home trying to make the old folks smile.

• 3 weeks later...

simv.jpg

The Schaller STMC roller bridge Looks like the most sensible, clean modification for the SG. And the price is right from StewMac. Does it affect tone? I'm getting my 61 Les Paul reissue Tuesday. Wish they made them for Strats.

The Schaller STMC roller bridge Looks like the most sensible, clean modification for the SG. And the price is right from StewMac. Does it affect tone? I'm getting my 61 Les Paul reissue Tuesday. Wish they made them for Strats.

Since both my FZ "Roxy" SGs sound darn the same, I checked it out by modifying them one after another. So I tried to reproduce action and pickup settings as precisely as possible, and adjusted the rollers to meet the string positions over the pickups of the guitar with the stock bridge. I did all I can including comparison of all switching options but didn't hear out any difference.

I think both these guitars are made from the same trees. They weigh the same, feel the same, sound the same, and their serial numbers only differ about four in the last digit...

Archived