Gibson Brands Forums

ears like .batman

blindboygrunt

This is an update of my last post about my J35 and some saddle and strings and bridge pins I've tried.... Really like the Gibson neck and nut width the Gibson likes a whole different set up than the Martins.of course it came with Tusq nut and saddle and plastic pins

. I tried a bone saddle but liked the Tusq saddle better with bone pins. The strings i tried were Gibson strings and Martin Lifespan strings also Martin uncoated SP's and Martin M140's also D'Addirio bluegrass strings and Elixir

. The last saddle I tried was a West African Hard Ivory saddle from Bob Colosi. The WAHI saddle was a vast improvement over the bone and Tusq saddle it really increased the bass response and the sustain and I liked the Gibson plastic pins better with the WAHI saddle.

One of the best strings with this saddle and pin combination and a big surprise to me were the Elixir phospher bronze lights. Why is this a surprise because Elixir's have been my least favorite strings ever....they just never sounded good to me on my Martins but they sure do on the Gibson with the West African Hard Ivory Saddle. Since I removed the pick up from the J 35 the WAHI saddle required almost no sanding to get the action I like 3.5/32in at 12th fret low E and 2/32in high E 12th fret.

I only put the Elixir strings on because I had them and wanted to at least use them even for a couple days. Its hard to put in writing how much an improvement the WAHI saddle made but the J35 now sounds like a Gibson costing twice as much the sound is so much richer its hard to believe a saddle and strings could make such a big differennce. I'm pretty sure the J35 has now moved into my #1 spot among my 3 acoustics.

Archived