Gibson Brands Forums

Pic of my favorite guitars I owned

buliwyf

I was going through some pictures on my hard drive and loading some up to photo bucket and I found these picture.Of all the guitars I've ever owned these were probably my favorites and I'm sure I'll never get them back.I hate to sell any guitar (unless I dont like the vibe of it)but when cash is very tight I remember you cant live in a guitar.Well what you think.

MVC-008G-1.jpg

1. Dilion Birds in flight they only made 7 or 8 of them and as great as it felt and sounded I sent the P90's out to be rewound to my and the luthiers specs and they were some killer killer P90's.Sorry I cant remember who rewound them,something like SBK maybe.

2. Gibson SG Supreme I wanted one since I saw it in a MF catalog and had the cash for once,cool guitar as it was I could never get used to 24 frets.

3. Gibson 1969 Les Paul origionaly had mini humbuckers but whoever had it before me like most LP's in the 80,s changed it out to full sized humbuckes they were 57 classics and it was incredibly sweet sounding.

4. Gibson LP mid 80,s I bought it used with some crumby who knows what pickups so I put in the ceramic 500t and the matching 49? ceramic.The origional color was red and somebudy sanded it down and resealed it in clear,great metal guitar.

5. Fender Stratocaster Iron Maiden W a floyd rose,2 duncan hot rails and a duncan JB JR.I could never find out how they made and finding one now is extremly hard.

Well I would think a lot of you agree with me once you sell a guitar you will probably end up kicking you own butt and you will never get it back at least thats what I've found. Have a good one!

Very nice.

Some good lookers there.

I built a "partscaster" strat like your black one, same pick guard, and pick up covers,

Love the way it turned out.

The Gibson SG with the sunburst is great looking.

Probably the best looking SG I have seen in a long time.

I am not a real fan of the SG guitars, but I sure like that one

Some times you do what you have to do to.

My 69 was kind of a transition model,it didnt have a volute but it did have the sandwich body and a few other things I had written down years ago.I ended up writing to Gibson and asking if they could help.Again it would take a bit to find the email they sent me but the tech actually found the serial number of my guitar in a dusty record book from spring of 1969 and told me it was definatly a 1969 and came with mini humbuckers.I did hear quite a few people with the minis rerouted for humbuckers. Im still looking for the picture but I bought my first LP not knowing much about them and my first one was a mid 70,s gold top with mini humbuckers.I really dug the Dillion's sound it looked so much like a PRS especially with the birds and the swamp ash neck through mahogany neck.

Did it look like this one Pippy (foolishly routed for full size buckers and Rotomatics by a young man I once knew B) )

I must admit, Z-K, that I'm a fan of Klusons over anything else for a LP but if a young man I once knew had routed the DeLuxe for full-size 'buckers I'd still be thanking him on a daily basis...

Nice DeLuxe. I'd have it!

...I really dug the Dillion's sound it looked so much like a PRS especially with the birds and the swamp ash neck through mahogany neck...

Interesting tale about the '69, buliwyf. Also refreshing to hear that at least some of Gibson's records from that time can be found! Perhaps it was just before the records system went haywire?.

On the subject of your LPs the '80s re-fin looks to have a nice top-carve. Nice looker.

And before I read the caption I thought the Dillon was a PRS. I'll have to Google Dillon Guitars to find out more.

P.

the one I miss the most was oddly a cheap early-ish bolt neck Japanese semi-hollow that played like butter and sounded absolutely amazing thru a big tube amp.

it was a '68 Univox Deluxe Rosewood Thinline (precursor to the Coily)

the one pic'd wasn't mine, but it's identical to it.

UnivoxCoily.jpg

the one I miss the most was oddly a cheap early-ish bolt neck Japanese semi-hollow that played like butter and sounded absolutely amazing thru a big tube amp.

it was a '68 Univox Deluxe Rosewood Thinline (precursor to the Coily)

That's really lovely, B4L! I can understand why you miss it. Why did it go?

P.

It's funny how much the Dillion looks like a P-R-S (the fretboard birds were killer inlays) and it was one beautiful solidly made guitar.The only main differances was obviously the Dillion brand name on the head stock and the 2 pc bridge.It was the first swamp ash body I ever had and although the pickups sounded good they were a bit weak for me.I was going to change them out but I saw a thread on this forum about rewinding a pickup and thought why not look into it.Like I said I sent them out to a company that was small maybe one guy who was very knowlegable and it was much cheaper than new pickups. We talked about wire sizes and windings basickly what I wanted it to sound like (really nice guy).Been lots of years but If the guy that rewound them remembers me please post and remind me who or what company you work for.It was bought on E-bay for around $500.00 from a music store in Toronto and I do still have a copy of the page from the auction (somewhere).

MVC-001S.jpg

nice finish on the back to.

MVC-004S-2.jpg

love the headstock shape(sorry bout the crumply pictures old camera)

dillionMVC-021S.jpg

EditedI found more info from the Dillion when I sold it. I sent the pickups out to be custom rewound by SK Guitar to be rewound to my specs ( 10.68k neck and 12.08k Bridge).Edit#2I bought this from a shop in Toronto I was told that this was a custom job from Dillion and only 4 were made in this color with the P-90’s.

Archived