Gibson Brands Forums

Loving the 50th Anniversary Sorrento

6string

I started my setup this evening. Polished the frets, oiled the fretboard, put on a Tusq nut, and strung up with D'Addario Chrome 11's. I'll wait until tomorrow for things to settle in before I make any adjustments to the nut and glue it in, neck relief, action, pickup height, etc.

Truly an awesome instrument. No sharp fret ends to file, oh so comfortable to play, the pups sound amazing…I just can't get over this guitar. It's the best I've taken to a new instrument in a long time. I've found a new favorite.

Wait 'till to you play it a little longer...like fine wine...just keeps on getting better and better.. [thumbup]

bends are my current nemesis, crust.

and i do scoop the string to get a bend going, it's crossed my mind that might be part of my struggle. i don't know if tht is right or not but i have wondered how more experienced players go with crazy low action and still bend the strings because any lower for me and i can't get traction for said scoop. :unsure:

ScottO, how long have you been playing ? Just a bit curious...if you don't mind me asking.

i started learning guitar on july 1, 2013. i'm coming up on 6 months!

don't let lack of progress discourage you...practice, watch vids, practice some more..You seem to have the motivation to go for it. [thumbup]

bends are my current nemesis, crust.

and i do scoop the string to get a bend going, it's crossed my mind that might be part of my struggle. i don't know if tht is right or not but i have wondered how more experienced players go with crazy low action and still bend the strings because any lower for me and i can't get traction for said scoop. :unsure:

I wouldn't be so sure that "more experienced players" use "low action"..I believe it is more like the "correct action"...follow the guidelines for setting proper string height. Low action does not always produce a more easily playable guitar...there are "trade offs", depending on technique, that has been my experience.

I finished my setup and am happy with the results. I decided to go all out with this thing and ordered some Emerson Paper-In-Oil Caps (.022uF) and a rosewood bridge from StewMac. I contacted Wolfe Guitars in Jupiter about getting a Plek job and will get that done next month. I've been curious about a Plek job for a long time now and decided this is my chance. It's not cheap but will satisfy my curiosity. They get $195 to Plek and do a full setup.

Granted, this guitar was excellent straight out of the box and doesn't "need" new caps, bridge, and a Plekking, but why not? I'm a hopeless tinkerer and I really want to know first hand what a good Plek job does for a guitar.

Archived