Gibson Brands Forums

Humbucker/ p90 combo in 335

Starpeve

G'day guys!

Just rewired my Dot Studio completely with braided push back wire, new 500 k audio taper pots, better ceramic .22 cap and put a generic retrofit p90 in the neck with a paf at the bridge.

Just as an experiment in flavors. If I like it I'll spend a little more money on a better p90. I don't know if it's the shielding but the p90 is totally quiet! However, it's not the sound I was expecting

From my reading. The humbucker in the bridge is brighter and chimier with the P90 seeming warmer and LESS growly at the same volumes. They sound great in all combos but as I say, not what I expected! Any feedback or opinions would be great!

Before replacing the p90 have you spent time adjusting the pickup height? Try adjusting up and down while plugged in till you find the sweet spot then adjust the pole pieces to balance the individual string volume.

You may have already done this but if not then definitely do it before changing it out. :)

G'day! I've buggered around a little but only finished the job yesterday arvo. Just roughly wound them both up and down to compare and to get similar volumes at this stage. There's a surprising difference to my expectations tho'. I was expecting more growl and bite from the p90 seeing it's in the neck and actually a bridge wind! Oh well, early days yet!

I have a Studio Dot with a Gibson p90 in the neck and a hot seymour duncan in the bridge and both get a great "growl".

It also depends how much volume you have at the amp especially if you are plugged straight in "no pedals" ..... If you are using a tube amp crank it up to push the tubes then try the neck pup... I bet you get some growl ... [thumbup]

I've just finished messing about with my pole pieces and pup heights- never stuffed around with the pole pieces before.I followed some advice about p90's in particular by Jason Lollar where he said to wind the pole pieces down and bring the pup up as close to the strings as practicable, saying that you rely on your volume to control it's character(in a nutshell) Wow! I also followed another guide to roughly set the bucker polepiece staggering as a starting point and it seems by ear to be pretty close. The p90 sounds great and the humbucker has a clarity and definition way beyond how it sounded before.whereas I really liked this paf now I Love it! I might start playing around with the original Epi pups the Dot came with to see how they may benefit ! The two pups together sound fantastic.

Good deal you are on the road to happiness!

My method, very much the same as Lollars is adjusting the pup pole pieces all the way flat then rasing the pup closer to the strings while strumming and listening to the tone as it changes while you make the adjustments. When you get too close to the strings you will get kind of a "Warble" sound or tone when you strum and when you hear that then back off the pup until the tone clears up and now the height is done. Then I strum an open G OR E chord slowly and listen for individual string volume and I adjust the pole piece for each string until the volume of each string is balanced. Then you can "fine tune" the pup height again if you feel the need.

The Dot Studio in my avitar has a 57 classic in the bridge and a T Top PAF from the late 70's in the neck. It nails the Eric Clapton from the cradle tone real well!

My other Dot Studio has the Hot SD p90 bridge and a stock Gibson p90 in the neck and this guitar just kills!

8074750946_c4105fb147_c.jpg

12 by

8022381529_ccabcbe3f3_c.jpg

IMG_1132 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/7203035@N02/

Both very nice- I find the Dot Studio to be a love affair kind of guitar! All of my friends launch toward mine whenever the come around. " Hi Steve- just gonna grab your Black Baby for a bit..."

I first fell in love with the natural when I first stumbled across it at Allen's in Adelaide, but when I went back for it the austere black unbound one I now own was sitting next to it.

I like what you've done with the Bigsby and the string tree(?) in the old stop bar holes- where did you find that? I stuck a roller bridge on mine which as it's fully adjustable overcame the problem of my tune o matic being maxxed out to achieve intonation. I think it sounds better, probably because the bridge is locked to the posts with Allen keys. Ps how do you all get multiple pics on your posts- I've put 2 up and I'm out of allowance?

Archived