Gibson Brands Forums

Yellow Les Paul Special and Challenger

truetone6

I don't have a Special any more to try out but if the body is smaller than a Studio/Classic etc., an SG case might be what you want. A LP Studio is too wide for an SG case - hope this helps some.

That TV Yellow is a pretty one; the only TV Yellows I had were the type where the finish is meant to wear away to the primer if you look at it funny.

I don't have a Special any more to try out but if the body is smaller than a Studio/Classic etc., an SG case might be what you want. A LP Studio is too wide for an SG case - hope this helps some.

That TV Yellow is a pretty one; the only TV Yellows I had were the type where the finish is meant to wear away to the primer if you look at it funny.

Haha,thanks.Actually,mine is the satin finish. The finish kinda thin. you can see where it chipped around the treble horn. Still,you know how people say a guitar "oozes tone"?

This guitar does.It's got that thick bluesy/rock and roll sound. And the neck feels so comfortable it practically plays itself.

So a Les Paul Special would fit in an SG Case? I never knew that.

DSCF7315-001.jpgDSCF7328.jpg

DSCF7324.jpg

DSCF7329.jpg

I've owned 5 Les Paul Specials(4 Gibson and one Epiphone). and this is the one I like best.

696d474f-9ab9-4d22-8a8e-f058c08aafd5.png

No, I do not know if it will fit in an SG case. I know that a Studio won't fit but if the Special body is smaller than a Studio it MIGHT fit. Sorry for the confusion.

Another Special is in the cards for me, they're really fun guitars. I got so mad at the TV Yellow finish I threw a curse on Gibson's marketing department and put them on eBay.

No, I do not know if it will fit in an SG case. I know that a Studio won't fit but if the Special body is smaller than a Studio it MIGHT fit. Sorry for the confusion.

Another Special is in the cards for me, they're really fun guitars. I got so mad at the TV Yellow finish I threw a curse on Gibson's marketing department and put them on eBay.

It will not fit in an SG case. I've also been looking for a case like that for a Les Paul Jr that I got years ago without a case. They all fit in Les Paul cases with some extra padding added but really need a thinner case like the one in the pic above. I would guess that the only chance of getting one would be to find out who makes the Jr cases for Gibson and contact them. You would think that with the number of Jr's that Gibson sells, you could find an after-market one but I haven't had any luck. Gibson only seems to sell cases for SG's and Les Pauls.

These are my favorite Gibsons. I got them both used. The Challenger is a 1984 and the Special is a 2012.

I also have a 2012 Special, but with a gloss cherry finish. I've had a number of Specials in the past, and for me, this one has the best playability of all (the baked maple fretboard being part of the overall formula). It was quite a surprise!

I was thinking about your Specials and how you had to go through such a large number of them to find THE guitar and also how there is such a production made out of the older guitars and how they must be super wonderful.

The old Gibsons were basically the same way. You'd have to sort through a bunch of them to find the one that just seems right to you.

There were some real heaps made in the days of yore, that's for sure. Some real gems, too, of course.

With any luck, I'll find a nice tobacco sunburst Special sometime in mid 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived