Gibson Brands Forums

Model by serial number ?

Gregwd

I'm certain this has been answered before but I can't seem to find the answer. I'm looking at what appears to be a very nice original condition 1966 J50 to my untrained eye. Serial number is 6 numbers, 847501, stamped into headstock, with no made in USA underneath, but seller has no further info. Can I tell the model number from this serial number? I'm on an I phone in the middle of the bush veld until the item ends and can't seem to post a picture here, so serial number seems to be my only hope .... Help! Thanks

No, Gibson serial numbers and/or FON's have never contained a model code. In addition to that, most Gibson 6-digit serial numbers can't even be 'ciphered to a specific year of mfg. I will add that 1966 IS the best bet for the number you listed due to the lack of "USA" stamp.

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm certain the seller is correct about the date, but since he hasn't been more forthcoming about further info I think it wise to skip the purchase, though I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself over losing a mint J50 one day . Thanks again

Would a Neck at Nut width help in this case? didnt the 68, 69, 70 Gibsons have skinnier necks?

Starting around 1965, the nut width got narrower on J-45/J-50 models, but that is not an absolute truth. A round-shouldered J-50 (not square shoulder dreadnought-style) from either 1966 or 1969 may well be virtually identical in design characteristics. Sometime in 1969, the body style of these transitioned from the traditional round shoulder to a square shoulder body like the Hummingird.

A picture would be helpful, but it is virtually impossible to identify a Gibson model from the serial number alone.

Starting around 1965, the nut width got narrower on J-45/J-50 models, but that is not an absolute truth. A round-shouldered J-50 (not square shoulder dreadnought-style) from either 1966 or 1969 may well be virtually identical in design characteristics. Sometime in 1969, the body style of these transitioned from the traditional round shoulder to a square shoulder body like the Hummingird.

A picture would be helpful, but it is virtually impossible to identify a Gibson model from the serial number alone.

ya I guess.... a picture would help for sure...

Archived