Gibson Brands Forums

Miles Davis > Gibson

E-minor7

From time to time it can be read that John McLaughlin at some point played nothing but a Hummingbird.

The Sherlock here has found out it probably was on the late 60's Miles Davis album, In A Silent Way.

Does anyony here know anything about this record or where the Bird might hide -

Would it be possible to point out the exact track/tracks, , , or maybe correct my idea of where it can be heard.

A great album if you like 60s modern jazz, I have had it for many years.

Yes Mclaughlin took that guitar to USA with him when he was called by Tony Williams in '69.

I do not know if that is the guitar he used on 'In A Silent Way' but he is all over the album.

On the title track he was famously told by Miles Davis to "play it as if you don't know how to play a guitar".

He also had a solid body as seen on the cover of 'Devotion' but shortly thereafter got a black LP which he used for most of his subsequent recordings with Davis and up to and including the 1st Mahavishnu album.

Regards!

Hep - the big Q for me is of course if the guitar sounds anything like a H-bird, which year it was from, , , and if the saddle material was rosewood or ceramic ,-)

Thanx for the response - I have already listened a bit on the tube and contacted my record connection.

A good day your way. .

Very interesting post... [thumbup]

I've been a huge J McL fan for decades and was surprised to learn of the use of a flat-top

in early recordings...

Must have been a quirky choice and probably short lived with the rock inclusions kicking off big-time with Miles around '69

The playing from then on was typified by huge volume

Then there are the true acoustic excursions with Shakti et al sometimes using custom built guitars with scalloped boards and drone strings

One album IMO interesting is the 'Jack Johnson' by Miles with John guesting and playing a Fender Mustang...how cool is that?...

V

:-({|=

Note the pickup on the guitar on the LP cover - a third generation Dearmond 210 with the B pole covered.

I am not a big McLaughlin guy though. I am not denying his immense skills but I guess I am just not much on the jazz fusion thing.

"One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it. Three chords and your're into jazz." - Lou Reed.

• 2 months later...

Yes, he used it on "Silent Way" and Tony Williams Lifetime, recorded around the same time.

Here's a link to some in-studio session photos; you can clearly see the H'bird.

McGlaughlin equip

McLaughlin was also quoted in a '70s interview (probably Guitar Player),

saying a rosewood body J200 was the best guitar he ever owned (up to that point).

Yes, he used it on "Silent Way" and Tony Williams Lifetime, recorded around the same time.

Here's a link to some in-studio session photos; you can clearly see the H'bird.

McGlaughlin equip

McLaughlin was also quoted in a '70s interview (probably Guitar Player),

saying a rosewood body J200 was the best guitar he ever owned (up to that point).

Heps for the information - and yeps there are a high praise for the J-200 .

"Best acoustic ever built, , , if you like that Gibson sound".

There we go. Maybe it's time for some J-200 love on these pages.

We don't see or hear them too often.

Get them out of those cases. . .

Archived