Gibson Brands Forums

Question about loose binding`

kebob

Question for you who are knowledgable about guitar repair. I'm interested in a J100 for sale locally, but the binding has lifted off the back slightly. The rest of the guitar looks great. In fact, in noodling around on it, I didn't even notice the loose binding until the sales rep pointed it out. Shop is planning on repairing it soon.

My question: Should this be an easy, one-time fix assuming proper care (humidity) of the guitar? Or is it too high-risk to pursue a deal/trade after the repair is made? Love the guitar, but don't want to buy a problem down the road.

Put your mind at ease. It is possible the glue holding the binding down has just let go. At the worst the loose binding could mean that it has shrunken a bit. It is an easy fix. Basically it just involves cleaning the channel, regluing the binding and sometimes splicing in a small piece if it has shrunken too much.

A binding repair will not hurt the value of the guitar but while it is an easy fix there is no guarantee it is a one time repair. Binding shrinking is usually due to plasticizers evaporating. It is no different than lacquer checking over the years.

Archived