Gibson Brands Forums

Any Nighthawk owners?

genome

I'm not sure if mine is a nighthawk or blueshawk or standard or special or what. It's solid body (no f-holes), triple-bound flame top, split parallelogram inlays on a bound fretboard, push/pull tone pot & no vari-tone. I like mine but I think whoever owned it before me leveled the frets. I really hate low frets, but the guitar has versatile tones & sounds terrific. Best of all, it has a round, fat 50s neck! (even tho the frets are so low I can barely bend the strings)

I'm not sure if mine is a nighthawk or blueshawk or standard or special or what. It's solid body (no f-holes)' date=' triple-bound flame top, split parallelogram inlays on a bound fretboard, push/pull tone pot & no vari-tone. I like mine but I think whoever owned it before me leveled the frets. I really hate low frets, but the guitar has versatile tones & sounds terrific. Best of all, it has a round, fat 50s neck! (even tho the frets are so low I can barely bend the strings)[/quote']

Is yours a the 2 pup model, or the 3?

I think you may have a setup issue, if your stings are buzzing out when bending, or the neck may have a slight twist. I hope it's the former.

3 pups, & the neck is straight as a laser. The low frets inhibit string bending for me -- my fingertips drag on the fretboard. I'm used to nice tall, if not wide, frets on Gibsons. Anybody else's 'hawk have low frets or is it just me? While I'm typing questions to nobody in particular, anybody know what model mine is?

Sounds like a Nighthawk Custom, the top of the line model. The Blueshawk was a semi-hollow with f-holes, and I think had a special noiseless P-90 pickup arrangement, with a 3rd dummy coil hidden between the pickups for hum-cancelling. I haven't had a chance to try either of these for more than a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure the next guitar I get will be a flame top Nighthawk, or a Blueshawk, if I don't get side-tracked by something else that's rare and intresting, like a Martin GT70 or a Fender Coronado or....

Archived