Gibson Brands Forums

Why do people get so picky with there Epiphones ?

Thomse

i don't have an epi dealer near me at all.not one.so i do alot of trading,ebay watching,craigslist searching,and networking to get the epiphones i want.a lot of the time i don't have the resources to be picky and thats kinda what i like.it has forced me to do all kinds of work to my guitars(not just my epis)and has helped me learn way more about them.the appreciation and time i put into my guitars is something i hold great pride in.i can turn a $60 p.o.s into a guitar i won't go on stage without in a matter of days.thats one of the reasons i don't sell any of them.but some people strive for perfection at a guitar shop,unfortunately thats why there is so many people disappointed with their guitars.in my opinion its not the guitars fault.its yours.

I think any way you look at it Epiphones are great guitars . I think of them as a great guitar . I have a lot of them and i am sorry they are not putting a lot of new models out this year but maybe they will . And i appreciate all your input . This is a great site

I think any way you look at it Epiphones are great guitars . I think of them as a great guitar . I have a lot of them and i am sorry they are not putting a lot of new models out this year but maybe they will . And i appreciate all your input . This is a great site

I agree, Thomse! Almost all of my electric guitars are Epiphones and several of my acoustics are. I think they are excellent guitars, and I do not think of them as "almost Gibson" guitars. Epiphones are as deserving of brand loyalty as are Gibson and Fender and others.

[thumbup]

Pete

For what it's worth, I cannot imagine a line of guitars that are across the board a better value as musical instruments. They're not handcrafted works of art as one might expect from a Gibson, but they are an incredibly diverse set of generally exceptionally playable instruments at a wide series of price points.

That said, we're still discussing an inexpensive product that's shipped at minimum halfway around the world in variable climate conditions and that must then be sold at a price point that can be profitable across the retail chain.

The variable climate conditions let to my one "return" of a guitar to an internet dealer and concerns with two others, both Epi AEs.

But I also think that today's marketplace filled with mass produced plastic consumer items puts a different spin on perceived quality, especially perceived quality of "finish" than when radios and televisions and furniture and whatevers were of wood. One still might find an end table of virtually the same design at many different pricing levels depending on the degree of hand craftsmanship, stability of woods, type of woods, and final "finish."

I once had a fine tube console television of a then-popular "quality brand" that ran well through three summer Olympics and four major moves yet... if one took a close look at the cabinetry, there were plenty of "imperfections." So... was I cheated? I think not. Would another several hours of handwork have made it play better? Would another year of aging the cabinetry wood have made it more stable and given the appearance of better handwork at joints? Would I have paid the difference?

m

• 2 weeks later...

Archived