Gibson Brands Forums

FarnsAmp MkII ~ build thread ~ Going back and tidying the chassis after tweaking the circuit.

Guest Farnsbarns

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Doesn't God live just down the street from you there in Surrey? That would be cool if you could get him to try one.

rct

Oh, Very Good!...

eusa_clap.gif

For a moment I thought you meant me, but as I live just UP the street I realised you must have had some other hack in mind....

p. Pp.

Given Pippy's response there's obviously an element of this that went over my head?

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, the penny dropped on RCT's joke. I missed the point and then mentioned him in my next post. #-o

I just staked the turret broad (that's noisey so I did it as soon as I walked in the door). You have no idea how close I just came to hammering my last turret into the back of the board. Phew!

IMG_20141027_200334.jpg

...Do you by any chance right the newsletter for the national pedant society?...

The National Pedant Society ? ? ?.....Splitters ! ! !

I'll have you know that I rite for the National Society of Pedants ! ! ! ! !

Tchah!.....

p. P..

Guest Farnsbarns

I've pretty much got the mess I created by constantly changing things into a tidy layout. I had to unscrew the main board in order to tag some wires to the bottoms of turrets. That was a nightmare. The reverb board, being last in, has to have wires connected to the tops of the turrets or have enough wire that it can be soldered outside the chassis which turn into a coily, noisey mess when the board is in place. If I built another one I would, of course, be able to solder all the wires to the bottom of all 3 boards prior to installing them but rebuilding the reverb circuit prevented that.

I've still got to drill new holes for the rca sockets for the reverb tank....

IMG_20141028_221234.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

You can see in the picture I've lost a knob! I decided the send pot for the reverb was a bad idea, it sounds better with no pot at all. I've just got the mix control on the return.

I've also changed the knobs to small brown ones, the fascia will be cream.

Guest Farnsbarns

The clean wiring is inspiring. Well done, sir!

TWSS

Thanks! Inspiring is a big sentiment for some wiring but I'll take that!

the facial will be cream.

That's just disgusting!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

I started fine sanding the cabinet today. The problem with that is that the fine sanding dust highlights where one has failed to file out all the rasp marks, meaning one has to go back to filing and then resand out the file marks.

This is what you begin to see when you start sanding...

IMG_20141109_132057.jpg

Back to filing and sanding again. Fine sanding done, I've wet down the surface to raise the grain and when it's dry I can sand again.

I might stain it at this stage because that raises the grain again. Also, fine sanding with the stain on means the fine dust, now stained, forms a grain filler if you sand again after the first tru-oil application.

This is whatbitnlooks like now...

IMG_20141109_155004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

It's been quite on this front for a few weeks...

Well, a dry weekend day hasn't been seen in these parts for a while. Cabinet completely stalled until I can loose the 2 sofas filling up my garage, I have continued tweaking the amp. I've decided to fit trim pots in place of every plate voltage control resistor, this should allow me to carefully increase the preamp gain and get a gain free send and receive on the reverb circuit without loosing too much reverb. 20 x 200k 3w 17 turn trim pots have been ordered and I await their delivery. I'm dreaming up mounting solutions which will allow the trim screw to be adjusted from outside the chassis, safely, through tiny holes. I may fit trim pots in place of the cathode ground resistors, to adjust gain as well. I might even go for switchable caps in the cathode ground as well. A high gain switch if you will. This will really be a low gain to medium gain switch, I'm after crunch at low volumes, not mega distortion.

I hope to finish soon! Not gonna hold my breath....

Guest Farnsbarns

Yeah, all good and well but, let's see you make a canoe out of your wifes new sofa in the downstairs garage like in Popular Mechanics!

Ha ha.

• 4 months later...

This morning I shaped the front edges, taking them to a much larger radius like the top.

IMG_20141019_150202.jpg

Thanks for the invite to your thread, Farnsbarns!

I love that "Nose Cowl" control panel! Reminds me of this: [thumbup] (but you need foglamps)

17071475001_248ab81ea9_z.jpg

... and you are allowed to have power tools in the house!?!? I have to show Mrs.Charisjapan! [scared]

cj

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanks for the invite to your thread, Farnsbarns!

I love that "Nose Cowl" control panel! Reminds me of this: [thumbup] (but you need foglamps)

17071475001_248ab81ea9_z.jpg

... and you are allowed to have power tools in the house!?!? I have to show Mrs.Charisjapan! [scared]

cj

Not all all. I noticed you said you're an amp builder and thought you might be interested is all. Thanks for commenting!

Archived