Gibson Brands Forums

FarnsAmp MkII ~ build thread ~ Going back and tidying the chassis after tweaking the circuit.

Guest Farnsbarns

Can I join the queue to try it out?

Seeing the demo actually made me think "I'd like to have a go at making one of those".

I'm obviously not yet fully awake...

What could be more cool than playing a gig with an amp you part-designed and built yourself ?

Except, of course, playing the gig with said amp AND a guitar you designed and built yourself a la Rabswood?

The thread was started just 5 weeks ago and some of that time was even wasted waiting for parts; life getting in the way, etc...etc...?

I'm Very Impressed!

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

P.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great!!

+1

Another job well done......I can see an ominous multi galactic conglomerate empire being started on this forum betwixt the ''Rabswood guitar emporium'' and ''Farnsbarns Electronic Amp-hitheatre''.....music for the spheres.....buy your shares now!

Gibson/Fender/Vox/Marshall..................be scared....be very scared.

Guest Farnsbarns

Can I join the queue to try it out?

Seeing the demo actually made me think "I'd like to have a go at making one of those".

I'm obviously not yet fully awake...

What could be more cool than playing a gig with an amp you part-designed and built yourself ?

Except, of course, playing the gig with said amp AND a guitar you designed and built yourself a la Rabswood?

The thread was started just 5 weeks ago and some of that time was even wasted waiting for parts; life getting in the way, etc...etc...?

I'm Very Impressed!

eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

P.

If you're serious I would gladly help. Anything from building it for you to sharing the details of how I integrated the reverb and effects loop.

AmpMaker "kits" are really a bag of components, a schematic, a component list and some key notes so to build one is to build from scratch, especially if you change the board layouts and build them yourself too.

Guest Farnsbarns

Sounds great!!

Thanks BBP. That means a lot coming from a fellow amp man such as yourself.

Not to take away from the comments of others, thanks to all.

If you're serious I would gladly help...

I'm sure you would, Farns, and thanks for the thought.

Unfortunately the words "I; new amp; fish; bicycle" thread themselves into a sentence in my mind.

I've checked out their site, though, so that isn't helping matters......lol!

It doesn't look too tricky for anyone with an ounce of common sense. And, as you know, an ounce is almost exactly what I have available.

I would like a reverb circuit in the amp I'm definitely not going to build for myself.........

P.

Well, here's an embarrassingly bad video. Funny how your mental approach changes when your listening to an amp you built, playing goes out the window.

Forgive me for being upside down... Downright rude of me I know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMtjY6NySk

Very impressive! [thumbup]

I also know of the mental approach thing. It already hits me damn hard after repair or modification of any piece of gear, guitars or basses as well as amps and cabinets... [rolleyes]

Upside down is no problem for me since the timeline direction is correct. [biggrin]

What mic type and positioning did you use if I may ask?

Well, here's an embarrassingly bad video. Funny how your mental approach changes when your listening to an amp you built, playing goes out the window.

I really like those Led Zep tones you managed to get out of it. Glad you managed to get it up and running

+1

Another job well done......I can see an ominous multi galactic conglomerate empire being started on this forum betwixt the ''Rabswood guitar emporium'' and ''Farnsbarns Electronic Amp-hitheatre''.....music for the sphears.....buy your shares now!

Gibson/Fender/Vox/Marshall..................be scared....be very scared.

Lol.. we just need someone to make a drum kit and we have a full band ;)

Guest Farnsbarns

Very impressive! [thumbup]

I also know of the mental approach thing. It already hits me damn hard after repair or modification of any piece of gear, guitars or basses as well as amps and cabinets... [rolleyes]

Upside down is no problem for me since the timeline direction is correct. [biggrin]

What mic type and positioning did you use if I may ask?

My mobile phone, as for position, on the ironing board behind me, proped up against a black and decker mouse sander. Hence the mic clipping and slight tinny-ness! [thumbup]

Hence the mic clipping and slight tinny-ness! [thumbup]

Yeah. I bet it sounds a whole lot better in person. The voicing to me sounds perfect. Very crisp and dynamic - lots of upper mids. [thumbup] The cell phone mic doesn't do it justice.

Guest Farnsbarns

Re voicing, it has three settings, spot the resistor/cap pairs at the left of the main board, these are switchable.

The project is on hold right now as I'm moving, however, I got a long way towards eliminating the oscillation (internal feedback) yesterday just by moving the pick up point for the primary of the reverb tranny even further back in the power suply. I decided it must be interacting with the signal path of the preamp or with itself (reverb send and return being two halves of the same valve) although the extra 50volts might be helping, I really don't have time to think, it was just instinctive but I can go back further still without getting close to the 330v max plate voltage of a 12ax7. The difference is huge, I only get the squeel at the full 5w and with master at full and reverb send at 7+. Obviously I want to cometely stop it but don't have any headspace for it at the moment.

• 6 months later...
Guest Farnsbarns

Well, as some of you know the move went well (5 months ago) but that opened a load of projects around the new place and work got busy but I'm well on my way to finishing the cabinet now. I decided on a combo arrangement just for convenience...

IMG_20140927_185051.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Cool... looks great man [thumbup]

What sort of joints did you use? And how are you gonna finish it?

I went the easy route and used internal batons, glue then screws. You might be able to see that in the rhs I've rounded all the corners and edges. If all the glue and sawdust filler on the other side looks OK once sanded back I'll stain and oil it. Otherwise I'll cover it in dark brown and cream tolex.

Guest Farnsbarns

IMG_20140927_201235.jpg

Excuse buggerlugs photo bombing that one.

There's a lot more battoning to do, the front isn't attached yet and the back is still to be made but there will be that 1 3/4" Barton on all internal corners. All glues and screwed bar the back which will be screwed with a gasket. There will be a partition between amp and speaker with the speaker completely sealed.

I went the easy route and used internal batons, glue then screws. You might be able to see that in the rhs I've rounded all the corners and edges. If all the glue and sawdust filler on the other side looks OK once sanded back I'll stain and oil it. Otherwise I'll cover it in dark brown and cream Rolex.

Yeah theres nowt wrong with that.. Doing joints is an art and real hard to get 100%

And yes... its amazing what a small detail like rounding edges off makes to how the eye perceives the overall shape... That edge detail I did totally made the Hammer body shape look different to the eye (and I will be doing more of that [thumbup] )

And hopefully you can just stain and oil.. I love the look of natural wood amps, very classy :)

Archived