Gibson Brands Forums

Need help dating a 60's Gibson J-50

twelvefretter

Greetings I'am a newbie here...I first bought this as a '62 as that's what the serial # indicated. I had the guitar refretted and modified the bridge.The original adjustable bridge was lifting so I had the Luthier remove the adjustable part insert a piece of matching rosewood and cut a slot for a bone saddle. The guitar turned out great,played and sounded awsome. Long story short,I just don't get alomg with the narrow nut width.I Put it up for sale and started getting comments like (nice looking guitar but it's not a '62) After doing reserch I find s/n numbers are not a good way to date 60's Gibson's. A lot of nice people chimed in and offered thier opinions on the year mostly between 65 and 69. So I thought I would try here on the Gibson forum and get your learned opinions...Thanks to all

Narrow nut width 1&9/16

Bottom pic is original bridge.

serial # 53258 stamped on back of head stock..

Good example of a '65 J-50

DSC02525.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

DSC02541.jpg

DSC02544.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02530.jpg

Your 1962 estimation sounds and looks correct to me. Especially since it is a five digit serial#. Perhaps those that are saying it is later 60's are confused with the 6 digit 500*** series of numbers? It is a very nice-looking example.

I am curious if the fixed saddle bridge was a great improvement over the adjustable before it lifted? Any comments or description of the difference would be welcome. Thanks!

I love the pickguards on these [thumbup]

Rod

Your 1962 estimation sounds and looks correct to me. Especially since it is a five digit serial#. Perhaps those that are saying it is later 60's are confused with the 6 digit 500*** series of numbers? It is a very nice-looking example.

I am curious if the fixed saddle bridge was a great improvement over the adjustable before it lifted? Any comments or description of the difference would be welcome. Thanks!

I love the pickguards on these [thumbup]

Rod

Hi Rod, The bridge was lifted when I got it so I don't know how it sounded before.It does,however,sound alot better with the new fixed bridge and bridge plate.As a matter of fact I just put some DR Sunbeams on it today.It never sounded better! I have heard alot of reasons why it's this year or that year.Some say the down turned belly and narrow nut make it a later 60's model. Another said wrong pick guard material for a 62 etc. etc. One gentleman said It's very heard to narrow down so he goes by early,mid and late 60's when determining the years of 60's J-50's ...so the quest goes on... Thanks for your reply

Jan

It looks to me like there's a 7 on the end of the serial number. They just didn't do a good job stamping it. It's a '68.

Good eyes, Guit [thumbup] I am surprised to see that it does not have a screwed-down pickguard as a lot of '68's did! This would defininetly explain the skinny neck also.

Mystery solved.....Sell on....

It looks to me like there's a 7 on the end of the serial number. They just didn't do a good job stamping it. It's a '68.

I was going to suggest that also, but chickened out (because I'm not too familiar with flat-top specs). Without that "7" the number stamp would have been way off-center, which seemed odd to me.

Right you are! The guitar has all the characteristics of a 1968 J-50, although as has been pointed out, some (but not all) that year had a screwed-on pickguard.

A 1962 still would have had a 1 11/16" nut.

Archived