Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Signature T

scrapy

Hi Everyone

I am finally going to smash my piggy bank to buy my first Les Paul. The Model I am looking to get is either a Signature T or a Traditional Mahogany satin, both in ebony. They have both very similar specs for nearly the same price. I am tending to go with the signature T, witch comes with gold hardware, but would like to ask two questions before I buy:

- As I understand, the serial number`s supposed to be on the back of the headstock. On the picture I have from the Online shop (It is a reputable web site, I have checked it out), no serial can be seen.... Can this be a genuine Gibson?

- Ebony is not listed on the Gibson website, why?

Thanks for any input

post-63555-040322100 1392812479_thumb.jpg

Hello Scrapy,

due to insufficient resolution the serial number might have got lost on this picture.

Sometimes finishes don't appear on the official Gibson webpages although they are offered. There also were rumours because of it, incidentally about an Ebony model. The Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess has been available with this finish for a while, besides Royal Crimson and Viceroy Brown. Alex Lifeson played one of each finish including Ebony on stage, but despite of that people talked about allegedly "faked" AL LP Axcess guitars in Ebony. However, they seem to have discontinued these recently.

Sorry, didn't check for that.

However, the Signature T comes in Tranlucent Ebony. Interestingly, just the top is not opaque whereas ribs and back including neck are.

Hi Scott0

Thanks for the links, I have seen them already. The Les Paul signature T Im looking at is ebony, not the translucent like advertised.

post-63555-068007300 1392840193_thumb.jpg

Sometimes finishes don't appear on the official Gibson webpages although they are offered. ... The Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess has been available with this finish for a while, besides Royal Crimson and Viceroy Brown. ...

Hi Scott0

Thanks for the links, I have seen them already. The Les Paul signature T Im looking at is ebony, not the translucent like advertised.

Interesting - seems to be like with the Alex Lifeson model.

My theory is that maybe some figured tops looked weird or just plain after carving, and so they made opaque finished guitars out of them. No one can predict exactly what a maple blank may look after the carving process. You can't see through them before... :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone

I am finally going to smash my piggy bank to buy my first Les Paul. The Model I am looking to get is either a Signature T or a Traditional Mahogany satin, both in ebony. They have both very similar specs for nearly the same price. I am tending to go with the signature T, witch comes with gold hardware, but would like to ask two questions before I buy:

- As I understand, the serial number`s supposed to be on the back of the headstock. On the picture I have from the Online shop (It is a reputable web site, I have checked it out), no serial can be seen.... Can this be a genuine Gibson?

- Ebony is not listed on the Gibson website, why?

Thanks for any input

Hi Scott0

You're welcome! Just trying to help. There are also quite a few links via google to authorized online Gibson retailers for the Sig T gold series in ebony, mostly sold out everywhere. I have the goldtop Sig T, it's perfect.

Archived