Gibson Brands Forums

Esonic2 bites it

Fran Guidry

I got my third EF-500RCCE last June (sold one to a buddy, keep the other one in a different tuning), this was my first with the Esonic2. I _really_ liked the sound of this pickup and hoped that I got one of the good ones, since I've read of so many problems with this system.

Got back to Hawai`i, picked up the guitar, today I plugged it into my Zoom H6 for a little recording project and it made a crackling sound. Checked the cable, decided to pull the battery out even though the battery light wasn't on. Pulled the batteries, cleaned them, put them back in, now the Nanomag is dead in the blend mode. The undersaddle still works but the moving the blend slider over to the mag gives a dull silence.

Interestingly, the mag works, sorta, through the second output jack. It's noisy and low in output, but there's something there.

I wouldn't mind putting another pickup in this thing, but I sure do mind spending half the cost of the guitar on a new pickup and preamp.

I'm feeling like a sucker and also like I'm through with Epi. I guess I'll take a hit on the resale with a half-working pickup but that's the punishment one gets, I suppose.

Fran

Not at all uncommon problem.

Generally it's a dodgy connection between the nanomag and the preamp at the preamp end.

Try giving the wire a GENTLE wiggle and see if that sorts it.

I've heard about so many problems with this system I must be lucky my dr sounds as good as the demo. I would look into it a bit more might be just a wire don't quit on the guitar yet

I would check and wiggle the wiring as others have stated above, particularly since it is the nanomag and the under saddle still works. You know how those little wires can be, they can get loose. If wiggling the wires don't work, and it is under warranty, then have Epiphone foot the bill. If it is under warranty, they will gladly do so. Good luck.

Mine still works fine.

But I do have a hunch the things weren't wired/soldered as well as should have been on assembly lines.

m

It's too bad really, makes getting the electric acoustic model more of a hassle than it does a convenience. I know when I bought my Masterbilt the salesman I deal with told me to avoid the Esonic guitars like the plague, that is unless I planned on replacing the electronics at a later date.

Well that's very interesting. I followed the excellent advice given here, sorta. I had previously wiggled the cable from the mag a bit with no result, but this time I removed the strings and reached inside - to find that the cable is connected by a threaded joint of some kind, and it had backed out substantially. I twisted it back into position and, happy days, the mag is working again.

Thanks for the recommendation to keep fiddling, I'm glad I didn't go all Pete Townsend on the Epi when I had that urge <Grin>.

Fran

Glad to hear all sorted msp_thumbup.gif

I think a huge amount of problems with the Esonic2 system are due to stuff coming loose in transit rather than the system itself. Having said that both Shadow and Epi do need to address this.

I've said all along what Wiggy said of the Shadow systems.

Bottom line too is that if they rattle loose in transit, what'r they gonna do headed to this or that gig? The concept and the basic components are reeeeally nice. But not if wires and other connections fail due to a bit of bounce.

m

The question is are you still through with epiphone or did they get a do over? lad its working for ya.

Well, there is the "guitar pig" factor at work here. Now that the pickup is working properly I might get a better return on a Craigslist sale, and there is this red CA OX I've been eyeing that seems like it would be perfect for the heat and humidity of Hawai`i. But the RCCE worked well tonight up at Honey's in Kane`ohe, and a bird in the hand fills the hand nicely.

Fran

Archived