Gibson Brands Forums

Corroding metal on new ES175 (fast!)

mixolydian

Hi everyone here at the Gibson Forum. This is my first post! biggrin.gif/

I bought a brand new ES175 about 6 months ago and within 2 weeks the shiny lovely new metal on the guitar like the bridge, pickups and tailpiece (?) began to turn what I would describe as 'gunky' looking. Dirty and dull, not at all suiting the beautiful new look of the guitar. I tried to put guitar polish on the end, but I think it made it worse. Any way as if things couldn't get any worse, I then moved to the beach, so the salt in the air is absolutely killing my guitar.

Firstly, what can I do to get the shiny metal back again and, secondly, what measures should I take to esure that I keep my guitar protected from the new climate, and how frequently?

Thankyou very much everyone!

Don't forget, that isn't chrome! It is probably "nickel", and it does tarnish easily. My tuning pegs are my 05' ES 335 are nickel and and so are the pick ups and stop piece. They are gunky. I even used the Gibson Metal Cleaner. I think the thought behind using the nickel was to give it that older look.

Yeah, nickel does pit easily (especially with seawater -- thanks Katrina!) & gold wears off like nothing. I've had chrome flake off too -- and as I'm sure you know, the warranty does not cover any finish. Some people have corrosive sweat & some people's diet makes their sweat corrosive. Crank will turn your sweat into hydrochloric acid too (I would think the archtop-playing meth-head club would be somewhat smallish though).

...I would think the archtop-playing meth-head club would be somewhat smallish though.

You snob!

Nothing better than crank and a good ES-175.

It's the only way I can play Pat Martino licks. ;-)

Seriously, nickel hardware takes on a patina pretty quickly. Leave it alone, and switch to blooze. After a while, you won't care anymore.

Archived