Gibson Brands Forums

Music Man

pippy

Thanks to a PM sent to me by krock (Thanks!...[thumbup]) I was trying to find info on a proposed new range of Music Man amplifiers and came across this post on another forum.

It makes for rather interesting reading if you are remotely interested in the history of the Music Man company and it's products;

http://forums.ernieball.com/blogs/big-poppa/30-early-days-music-man.html

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Very interesting.

All I know about these amps first hand is my surprise at the tones P's can make. We spoke at length in out local studio/practice rooms recently about the music man sound. I would love one like Pippy's but I'll view the new ones as an unknown quantity for now.

...now I'm down to two, a 212-130, and my favorite (and workhorse) 210-65.
All I know about these amps first hand is my surprise at the tones P's can make....I would love one like Pippy's but I'll view the new ones as an unknown quantity for now.

I'm (almost exactly) with L5Larry.

In Jan 1980 I bought this '78 2x12 - 65 ex-demo and, as Farns attests, it can produce a surprising range of great tones 'unaided', as it were, by o/d boxes and the like.

A good friend studied the wiring schematic and, apparently, Leo and his boys pulled some wonderful tricks out of the bag.

I've shown this snap before but not for a very long while so as this seems like a good excuse....

My little Noisemaker along with "Treacle" and "Marmalade" (yet again...[blush]).

1153705449amp-1.jpg

And someone else (hem-hem!) who has great taste in guitars and amps;

ClaptonMusicMan_zps6740bde0.jpg

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm (almost exactly) with L5Larry.

In Jan 1980 I bought this '78 2x12 - 65 ex-demo and, as Farns attests, it can produce a surprising range of great tones 'unaided', as it were, by o/d boxes and the like.

A good friend studied the wiring schematic and, apparently, Leo and his boys pulled some wonderful tricks out of the bag.

I've shown this snap before but not for a very long while so as this seems like a good excuse....

My little Noisemaker along with "Treacle" and "Marmalade" (yet again...[blush]).

1153705449amp-1.jpg

And someone else (hem-hem!) who has great taste in guitars and amps;

ClaptonMusicMan_zps6740bde0.jpg

P.

Christ on a bike, Pip. If you had posted that and said it was you I'd have believed it!

I remember one coming in the shop I was working at back in the 80's.

I was playing in a band at the time and we were doing a couple of the (then) newer Clapton songs.

I had an Am Std strat and plugged straight in and was blown away that it was instantly "that sound". No tweaking, no mods, no pedals, just crank it up and enjoy.

The thing was built like a tank too.

NHTom

From roughly the same era: My Aims Dual Twelve. Built like a tank and weighs about the same.

I probably should take it to a pro with tubes and have it re-tubed. Incredible sound. Mine's still 100 percent intact. They were almost given away some dozen years ago, though. IMHO it blew away the Twin. But that was with the tubes "new" and not having been used as an endtable under a heavy cover for 30+ years. I used it a cupla times around 10 years ago and it still sang. But... as with my Bassman head, my tube pro died before I could have him work on them - and he far younger than I.

Still have 'em both; the AIMS around a decade ago before I got my little AE amp that works fine, and the Bassman not since around the early/mid 90s by my "baby" brother.

m

Archived