Gibson Brands Forums

First post, first Epiphone

scootersite

Hi,

I've got an Epiphone coming today so I wanted to stop in and say hi......maybe get some free advice.

I'm a beginning guitarist and ordered a Black Cherry Genesis yesterday from Magician's Friend, should be here any minute. I currently have a PRS SE Tremonti (nice guitar) but was looking for something different. I'm finding my ability to buy guitars far exceeds my ability to play them. I went to GC yesterday with the intent of buying a nice Gibson. I played a few different models, some of which were very expensive but the sales guy recommended I try the Genesis. My first thought was what an unusual looking guitar but once I played it I was hooked. To my inexperienced ear this thing sounded as good and even better than some of the far more expensive Gibsons and I really like all the tonal variations with the split coil humbuckers.

So my question is what should I do to set this thing up once it gets here? Anything special I should look out for and has anybody had any experience with Musician's Friend? I was a little nervous buying this thing on line but GC only had one Genesis and it had a bad gash on the top.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

Hi,

I've got an Epiphone coming today so I wanted to stop in and say hi......maybe get some free advice.

I'm a beginning guitarist and ordered a Black Cherry Genesis yesterday from Magician's Friend, should be here any minute. I currently have a PRS SE Tremonti (nice guitar) but was looking for something different. I'm finding my ability to buy guitars far exceeds my ability to play them. I went to GC yesterday with the intent of buying a nice Gibson. I played a few different models, some of which were very expensive but the sales guy recommended I try the Genesis. My first thought was what an unusual looking guitar but once I played it I was hooked. To my inexperienced ear this thing sounded as good and even better than some of the far more expensive Gibsons and I really like all the tonal variations with the split coil humbuckers.

So my question is what should I do to set this thing up once it gets here? Anything special I should look out for and has anybody had any experience with Musician's Friend? I was a little nervous buying this thing on line but GC only had one Genesis and it had a bad gash on the top.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

msp_thumbup.gif

First off, congratulations, please post some pictures.

And as "adjustments" go

http://forum.gibson....-your-epiphone/

I've never played a Genesis...some day...

don't be a strangermsp_smile.gif

Well, first after letting it warm up and all of that, change the strings. Then you look up utube videos are setting up a guitar and checking it for intonation and neck and electronics making sure to adjust it where it needs it and all works.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived