Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Insurance

jannusguy2

I have Heritage Ins. coverage on all my guitars and have had it for a few years now. I bought a policy after the last overly active hurricane season down my way. I have about 30K in coverage for about 250.00 a year. Not bad. I can buy shipping coverage when I buy or sell something, too. $22.00 to insure a guitar for full value in transit is pretty good. I don't trust Fedex or UPS insurance. Anyway, this weekend I found myself at an antique book fair here in town. One of the vendors was an insurance company offering insurance for collectors items, valuables, etc. I asked if they insured vintage guitars and the like. Always looking for a better deal. They said, "Of Course! As long as you don't play them"…I said, "I play them everyday" and walked away laughing. Never got around to asking the premium. I wondered if you insured a 1st edition Hemmingway, would you be allowed to read it?

I'm still with Heritage.

I was loading all my wood into an interior closet in advance of a tropical storm spawned tornado...

Uh... umm... ok.

I did not know that Heritage charged per shipment of a guitar in transit (parcel service, air, auto, etc.) above their normal premiums. How do they get the monetary value on a particular guitar? Many speak highly of Heritage, and many say that the insurance offered by Big Brown and others is almost pointless.

Yes, that transit insurance is over/above. I've used it a couple of times when buying/selling. Just call and tell them what you are buying or selling, what it's worth, where it's going and how and you're insured for the full value. I just sent a Martin CS D21-11 to Indy via fed ex. I passed on all their added insurance fees and went with Heritage for 22.00 all in. Now if you were traveling with the guitar and something happened it would be your normal coverage with no added fees.

Uh... umm... ok.

I did not know that Heritage charged per shipment of a guitar in transit (parcel service, air, auto, etc.) above their normal premiums. How do they get the monetary value on a particular guitar? Many speak highly of Heritage, and many say that the insurance offered by Big Brown and others is almost pointless.

UP/Fedex make it pretty clear that it is NOT insurance they are providing for the extra charge. You are just declaring an item's excess value, so that when they destroy it, you have a haggling point of negotiation. Ask Ol' Fred about this with regard to his 50's Country Western.

I need to insure my guitars, as my homeowners' insurance provides limited coverage for collectibles of any type, whether it's guitars, art, or jewelry, all of which we have. Thanks for the reminder.

Archived