Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton II MIK vs Epiphone Sheraton II MIC?

Natural_Blues7

Well, like I always say: Play as many as you can, from both countries, and THEN decide!

There are excellent versions, from both countries. From just an aesthetic point of view,

I prefer the Chinese versions, of the current Sheraton II, due to it's more "Gibson" like

body contours, and horn shapes. But, that's just ME! I have a good friend, and sometimes

band-mate, that has a Korean (Black) version, that's excellent! So, it's really a matter

of which one YOU prefer. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

MIK guitars tend to have a better reputation in general, because they have been making guitars since the late early 90s for Epi and some of the plants have their own reputable brand now.

On the other hand, I also happen to prefer the shape of the newer Sheraton being closer to a 335 but I adore my modified MIK because it plays very well.

Quality wise I think Epi electronics are superior to what it was so an old MIK will tend to be crappier in that field...

In the end, that is a mostly a subjective question and should be better answered by trying it and decide if you will or not keep it stock

Im with CB, there are good and bad examples from both countries. One other thing to consider, superficial as it may be, is the finish. If you're going back to 98 or earlier, a lot of the MIK are Tobacco Burst as opposed to the MICs mostly bumblebee black and yellow. I prefer the former but lucked out with a 97 Peerless Sheraton that is kind of the best of both worlds with a nice accurate vintage sunburst.

I went with a MIC Sheraton, because I like the chunky neck more than the slim neck on the MIK. And I got the natural, and I like the more transparent look of the wood grain. The wood grain on the natural MIK sheratons are a lot darker, but thats just a matter of taste.

I don't think the MIK pickups are superior, as just as many people upgrade the humbuckers on the MIK as the MIC.

The MIK does have the 3 piece neck with the stripes on it, as well as the nibs on the neck binding.

What matters most is the particular model, and which one you can get the best deal on.

I went with a MIC Sheraton, because I like the chunky neck more than the slim neck on the MIK. And I got the natural, and I like the more transparent look of the wood grain. The wood grain on the natural MIK sheratons are a lot darker, but thats just a matter of taste.

I don't think the MIK pickups are superior, as just as many people upgrade the humbuckers on the MIK as the MIC.

The MIK does have the 3 piece neck with the stripes on it, as well as the nibs on the neck binding.

What matters most is the particular model, and which one you can get the best deal on.

The early Chinese versions have "scarf" jointed (heel and headstock) single piece maple necks.

But, recently...in the last year or 2, they've gone to the "3" (actually 5) piece necks, that

the Korean version have. Looks MUCH better, now...especially on the "natural" finished version.

So, the recent Chinese versions are much nicer, now, than the earlier versions...IMHO.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETS2NAGH/

Cheers,

CB

Archived