Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone seen this color Les Paul?

TravisMc

Hey guys - new to the forum, I really like it though. I'm active on reddit's /r/guitar as well.

So check it out, I'm new to guitar...and I wanted a Les Paul to learn on, I love the looks and it's a classic so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

So about a week ago I went to guitar center to pick up a Les Paul that reminded me of a 2005 Epi Dot I used to have....in blueburst/trans blue. I've always had a thing for blue guitars, they just speak to my heart.

I picked up the Les Paul PlusTop Pro - and it's a great guitar, however, when I got home I was looking at Epiphones site, and saw that you could get it in quilt top, see here:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Quilt-Top-PRO.aspx

Also, here is the PlusTop on Epi's site:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Standard-Plustop-PRO.aspx

they pretty much look the same color, except one is quilted, one is flamed, right?

So, I ordered a Quilt Top from Musicians Friend - being a limited edition you can't really find them in person anywhere.

Here's the problem...well, not so much a problem, but a hard choice. When it got delivered, I open it up and this is what I see:

http://imgur.com/xac4PJW,aBHW0ay (if that link doesn't work here is a direct link: http://i.imgur.com/xac4PJW.jpg)

They really aren't the same color at all. The PlusTop has MUCH more green in it, the Quilt Top is closer to a blue/gray than a blue/green. They aren't even close to the same color really. It's funny though, because blue/gray is my favorite color combination.

To be honest, I considered keeping it...but the split down the middle of the quilted top where the two peices of maple join isn't even, and there is some varnish on the edge of the fretboard.

Is that split in the top supposed to be on the centerline of the guitar? Is this a common issue with Epi's?

Has anyone seen this color "Trans Blue" before? Is it a one of a kind?

I personally like the color of the quilt top much more, and don't see any problem with the seam. I wouldn't expect the two to be the same color. There is always going to be variation. I would keep whichever one sounds/plays better.

I wouldn't expect the two to be the same color. There is always going to be variation. I would keep whichever one sounds/plays better.

Never a truer statement. If there was ever a color (and a music) with the most variations....

The Blues Be It!

BlueLPNew.jpg

TravisMc,

Welcome to the forum!...and.... Congrats, which ever you choose.

For new members:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21424628/Welcome2.mp3

(Hit Play)

Gotta love the blues,

Willy

To me, both guitars look great. Beautiful figuring of the wood on both instruments. I'd take both of themmsp_biggrin.gif Blue flame burst or dark blue quilt, decisionsrolleyes.gif. The mismatch of the seam on the top surface looks fine. That is what make guitars look unique. msp_thumbup.gif

To me, both guitars look great. Beautiful figuring of the wood on both instruments. I'd take both of themmsp_biggrin.gif Blue flame burst or dark blue quilt, decisionsrolleyes.gif. The mismatch of the seam on the top surface looks fine. That is what make guitars look unique. msp_thumbup.gif

I should clarify - it's not the seam mismatch that bothers me. It's the angle of the seam. If you were to draw a line straight down the middle of the guitar, the seem is at about a 10 degree angle slanting downwards from the back to front.

I don't mind the pattern matching of the quilt top at all, actually, I think it's done very well, but the seam runs slanted down the guitar. It's not straight at all...and that bothers me. On the plus top it's straight.

Look at the pics. On the plus top the seam ends pretty much inline with the rear strap button. On the quilt top it's well above it.

I believe the perspective of the photo, that guitar is slightly tilted, more than the blue flame burst, adds to the illusion that the seam is angled and not centered at the strap pin.msp_confused.gif

I personally like the color of the quilt top much more, and don't see any problem with the seam. I wouldn't expect the two to be the same color. There is always going to be variation. I would keep whichever one sounds/plays better.

+++1

In case this is tied, I'd decide for looks.

Crust - while the photo may be off center, I assure you, the seam is off center as well and at a 10 degree angle.

The maple top is cut at an angle at the seam, not down the center line. :( . I'll take another picture straight infront of it and post soon.

It's a real shame too, as like other, I think I much prefer the darker color.

I've already taken the plus top back to guitar center - and the replacemenet quilt top gets delivered today from musicians friend, so maybe it'll be dark too! I just really hope the seam is centered on it...

Here is a link to an album with many more photo's - this one is of the darker blue Les Paul, and the normal color trans blue quilt top that musicians friend has sent me to replace it.

http://imgur.com/a/drgNU#0

The album has a few close ups of the darker one as well, and while the photo makes it difficult to see, you can see the seam is inline with the D string, and rises slightly as you go to the bottom/back of the guitar. Looking more towards the top/front of the guitar, the seam actually goes all the way down to just above the G string. The angle is significant enough to notice without measuring.

It's actually pretty wild - the quilt top on the darker one doesn't even look like a quilt top compared to the replacement that they sent me that is actually trans blue - it's like a mix between a flame and a quilt. The darker one actually looks like tiger stripes to me, the trans blue one looks like a quilt top should. If the darker one didnt have so many flaws I might keep it, just for the novelty of the unique color...oh well.

Suffice it to say I'm extremely pleased with the new one - I love the quilt pattern, and this Les Paul has the least amount of defects out of three I've gone through now. The seam is straight from top to bottom. I've been going over it for the past hour or so, and other than a slight nipple on the horn portion from paint drying where it was hung upside down, and just a bit of varnish to the side of the fretboard, its flawless. The neck is straight as can be, the frets are all flat and even, and most importantly...it sounds awesome.

Thanks for all the input guys!! And thanks for the welcome to the forum!!

Archived